The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have one of my goats that is naturally smaller than the others and i have de wormed him twice and treated his foot rot. He is walking fine and shows no sign of worms. He always lays down and has droopy eyes and walks slower than the rest. I have saw him nibble on hay,grass a coupe timesand drink but he never eats corn or grain. I put him in a seperate pen with a couple cows and 1 other goat....help! What should i do?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
First, I would get a temp. His temp should be between 101.5 and 103.5.

Second, I would have a fecal test done at the vet to include coccidia. One wormer doesn't take care of all parasites so you need to know what you are treating to use the right dewormer.

You can always give him some Probios and B Complex.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet came He ended up having no temp. But he gave him vitamin B and a shot for a cold. Said he should be better soon, thanx for your help!

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I would keep a very close eye on his temp..check it every few hours at least..silent pueunomia can be quite sneaky...no fever one minute and sky high the next..keep Nuflor or tylan 200 ready for action..Banamine as well..just on case..Hopefully it wil all go as you vet said..but better safe..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its like u said fine one minute and now it can't stand, ill just have to hope for the best....but now i have another question, the herd has some sort of snotty nose and its not worms should i treat them with Banamine?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Did you get a new temp on him?? you said he ws in thepen with cows..could he have eaten corn or cows feed?? , Banamine is an antiinflamitory,pain releiver and fever reducer..it will not help snoty nose. what color is the snot? is your hay or feed dusty.. is the area they live in dry and dusty??

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Your whole herd could have what your first goat has. You may need more shots from the vet. Find out what exactly he is giving them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We moved him out of the pen with the cows and he is with the rest of the goats in their pen which is dry except their pasture because it has rained and when the vet took his temp he was normal, the snot is green

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I agree with Karen..sounds like the whole herd has caught something..for your goat that cant stand...did you get a new temp on him? I would offer electrolytes to keep him hydrated..hows his poop? berries or runny? is he peeing normal? check his lower inner eye lids...what color are they??

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
How old is he? A oat younger than six months should not get la200 or tylan. Our vet uses braxin on kids. Ask him and have him checked for coccidia, it's that time of year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts