The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I sold two wethers to some neighbors a few months ago. Well they were both supposed to be dehorned but one of them didn't go quite right and one started growing again. I was planning to band it but it wasn't big enough yet. Anyway the goat got his horn caught in the fence and tore it most the way off. Never having had this happen I didn't know what to tell her to do. But what is exposed under the horn? What should I tell her to do? I'll try and get some pictures.
@mariarose, @Trollmor, @Nigerian dwarf goat, @toth boer goats, @NigerianDwarfOwner707, @SandyNubians, @NigerianNewbie, @SalteyLove, @goathiker, @Dwarf Dad, @TexasGoatMan, @ksalvagno, @Sfgwife, @Damfino, @GoofyGoat, @groovyoldlady, @Jessica84, @HoosierShadow, @Goats Rock? @Iluvlilly! @fivemoremiles, @bisonviewfarm, @singinggoatgirl?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Depends on if there is the original direct connection to the sinuses. If it bleeds, that is therefore a bad sign. If no blood - probably just keep clean and dry! And keep watching.

Tell her GOOD LUCK from us! :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it bleeding really bad?
I will find out. Hopefully not.
Depends on if there is the original direct connection to the sinuses. If it bleeds, that is therefore a bad sign. If no blood - probably just keep clean and dry! And keep watching.

Tell her GOOD LUCK from us! :)
Oh. Well she said it had been bleeding.

·
8,163 Posts
Yank it off, (if it's only hanging by skin.) then either cauterize it with the disbudder(only hurts a second) or put blood stop, or flour or something to stop the bleeding if it is really gushing. Horns look worse then they usually are.

If the sinus is exposed inside, 1st stop the bleeding with pressure, don't get stuff inside the head, then take a clean rag and place on the wound, wrap around it to hold in place, with a gauze roll. Tight enough to hold in place, but not choke him.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called the lady and she said that she had it wrapped and disinfected with peroxide. for the last few days and she took the bandage off today and the rest of his horn fell off and its starting to scab over

1 - 15 of 15 Posts