The Goat Spot Forum banner

Help, half broken horn!

459 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Trollmor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I sold two wethers to some neighbors a few months ago. Well they were both supposed to be dehorned but one of them didn't go quite right and one started growing again. I was planning to band it but it wasn't big enough yet. Anyway the goat got his horn caught in the fence and tore it most the way off. Never having had this happen I didn't know what to tell her to do. But what is exposed under the horn? What should I tell her to do? I'll try and get some pictures.
@mariarose, @Trollmor, @Nigerian dwarf goat, @toth boer goats, @NigerianDwarfOwner707, @SandyNubians, @NigerianNewbie, @SalteyLove, @goathiker, @Dwarf Dad, @TexasGoatMan, @ksalvagno, @Sfgwife, @Damfino, @GoofyGoat, @groovyoldlady, @Jessica84, @HoosierShadow, @Goats Rock? @Iluvlilly! @fivemoremiles, @bisonviewfarm, @singinggoatgirl?

#5 ·
Yank it off, (if it's only hanging by skin.) then either cauterize it with the disbudder(only hurts a second) or put blood stop, or flour or something to stop the bleeding if it is really gushing. Horns look worse then they usually are.

If the sinus is exposed inside, 1st stop the bleeding with pressure, don't get stuff inside the head, then take a clean rag and place on the wound, wrap around it to hold in place, with a gauze roll. Tight enough to hold in place, but not choke him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.