The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having hot muggy weather here and my pygmys are so hot! They have plenty if water and shade indoors and outdoors but its just so damn hot! I have a momma due any day now and she is panting sooooo much.

·
Registered
635 Posts
water and shade is about the best you can do. maybe a fan? misters? You could wet them down I suppose but most goats hate that. Your expectant one is panting because she's hot and full of kids. She'll be ok. It's 110 here today. I make sure the ground under the shade trees where my goats spend the day is damp, that helps cool them too.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Freeze gallons size water jugs...sit out for the to lick and lay near....spray the area they lay down with water...this will drop the temps a few degrees...if there is no wind..create some with a fan...I usually have one blowingout the barn door..the goat foght to see who gets to lay in the breeze...butmost important ...keep them hydrated..some goat will not drink warm slimmy water..so refresh therei water often..throw a fozen water bottle in it to keep it cool longer...make a bucket od electrolytes and let them choose that or water...if they are real stressed a cool rag under the arm pit area and head will help..not a soaking wet rag..just a damp cool one..also B complex will help them through the stress of the heat...
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or what ever molasses you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts