The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my girls to be refreshed and I forgot to deworm them prior to that. What can happen to my girls and the babies one is carrying and the other will be carrying??? Is this really serious? ?? I'm panicking and my husband is pretty upset with my not being a responsible goat person.

Oh just an added bit. My Dolly will be kidding between March 4-8!!!!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I thought there was a school of thought// goat husbandry in which you dont deworm with out doing a fecal, so you know what you are targeting...?....

·
I'm watching you
22,337 Posts
I try not to do any chemicals the first 50 days of pregnancy unless really needed. If they really do need wormed though, then yes Safeguard or Ivermetin can be used.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I have not even dewormed my goats before I bred them. Matter of fact I have not dewormed them in like 3 years. I do fecal floats and they are fine.

If you deworm them when they do NOT need it then all you are doing is 1. wasting your money and 2. the worms are going to become immune to the deowrmer, that is why so many people have a worm problem and can't get it under control.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Morantel tartrate (Rumatel) is also safe for pregnant goats. I agree, if you can wait until after the first at least 30 days of pregnancy, all the better. If she is not anemic or very thin or showing other signs of parasites, wait. If she never shows signs, great! Deworm her the day she kids.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I am deworming my doe who was bred ten days ago. One of my doelings, the only one whose fecal sample I took to the vet, had a decent amount of roundworm eggs in her fecal sample. Since they graze/sleep all in the same area, I am worming the doe too. I thought my doeling might have cocci, but that was not the case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts