HELP! I found an abcess on my goat!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Oct 19, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Last night during feeding, I was petting my buck, and noticed a clump of hair fell out in my hand. I got looking at it, and he had a "cyst" looking thing on his back.

Being that I was a veterinary nurse for so long, I knew that I needed to open it and find out what was in it.

I took a sterile 20 g needle and found an abcess. I opened it in many places and got all the "gunk" out of it.

I couldn't give him an antibiotic injection, as I used the last sterile needle to open the abcess, but I put an antibiotic cream on it. I will pick up needles today for injections and a scaple blade to open completely and clean it properly.

Here is my question. I vaccinated on the 8th, 10 days ago. I used a clean needle and syringe for every one. Do you think it could have been from that? I can't remember if that is the area where I vaccinated, as I did 10 goats that night, by myself while it was starting to get dark.

I would hate to think it is because of me...... as I have been giving injections for 10 years. But accidents happen I guess.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to care for it. He is so dirty!!!! I know that I need to lance it, flush it, and keep an antibiotic cream on it, but I sure hope his hair grows back. It is the size of a half dollar.

:-(

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well the only way to really know for sure if you are dealing with CL was to have the stuff inside it tested. What was inside it? I try to give all my injections under the front arm pit so I know when i feel a lump there I caused it. The hair falling out would have me somewhat worried.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I flush any abscess with a betadyne solution til no more pus comes out. Having never evacuated with a needle, I'm not sure but I would think that without flushing, the abscess will not be thoroughly cleaned out and may reform.
    On the back (depending on where you mean the back,) is not a typical abscess place for CL and I notice you didn't mention it in your post so I don't think that is an issuue with you?
    But I have had the vets drain abscesses for me and they always opened it up to drain and be fluched.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is "gooey" in substance, yellow in color and has only a very slight odor. Hard to tell odor around a breeding buck...LOL!

He is so dirty right now, that I really think it was from the injection. The only place that there is hair loss is on top of the abcess itself.

I tested for CAE 2 1/2 weeks ago. All Negative.

I really think that it is from the vaccine or that he rubbed on something and punctured himself or something picked him. I could not find an entrance wound, but who knows.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, I am going to get a scapel blade tonight and some Nolvasan Scrub from my vet friend so that I can flsh it corectly.

I did the needle, cause I had nothing else to open it - LOL! He is such a good boy, he just stood there while I did it, enjoying the pettings.

I noticed he was not acting normal this weekend, and asked my husband about it, as I was gone all day during the weekend, and he said he was head butting everyone around, and seemed normal - But what doe he know cause this is the first time he has ever really done anything with them!

The abcess itself is right on the spine at the withers, and that is usually where I give my vaccines, habit from working at the vet clinics. Distemper on left, rabies on right - LOL!

Thank you !

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Kelebek. Is that where you give CDT? If so I would bet money that, that is what it is from. Another question. Do you use Bar Vac or Colorado Serum CDT? I have noticed that if I use the Bar Vac, we get those knots, so I will never use it again. I will always use the Colorado Serum. I mentioned it to a vet about two year ago, when he did a Vet check for a show. He commented on the knot. I asked him about the Bar Vac-Colo. He told me this yer that he started to ask questions to the goat people and sheep people around here, and all those that had a knot were from the Bar Vac. If they used the Colorado Serum, non of them had them. I had my DH pick some CDT up earlier this year, not looking at the bottle before I used it, he got me the Bar Vac, and I have those darn knots again on my goat.
    If you were able to get the junk out of it and it was not GREEN and cottage cheese looking, then I would bet you are fine.
    Keep us posted.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Surely not a CL worry I would think but something on the flat part of the goat is going to be harder to keep draining. They always keep you going somehow. ;o;
    The hair always grew right back with my goatie's abscesses but since she is white I have no idea if the hair color is influenced.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you for helping me....

I feel so bad that I did this to him. I would never do anything to hurt my animals.... husband maybe - just joking!

My buck is my man. He totally is my goat and just loves the attention!

Thanks again all!

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    It isnt your fault it just happens with alot of shots.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah stuff happends, if you got the core out it will heal up nicely and you won't have it come back again. Sounds like you know what you are doing. :D

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    sounds like you have it under control. i would not even think of cl in that spot. you are not to blame. i have had some knots show up even when the shot was givin by a vet. things happen. i would just keep it good & clean. flush it with peroxide & iodine a couple of times a day & put antibiotic cream on it. i use to use covexin 8 & got knots/absesses every time.