The Goat Spot Forum banner

Help!! I just realized one of my babies is pregnant

2K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  MadHouse 
#1 ·
I just realized that one of my babies is pregnant. I know exactly when this happened, October 17, 2020 because my billy got in my girls pasture. I was watching to make sure one of my smaller goats that I did not want to breed didn't get pregnant and noticed yesterday that (his) baby definitely is. She was only four month old at the time. She will be a year old in June. And her kid(s) are due around 14 March. Both the daddy and mama are very small. Is she going to be OK? I have called a vet to come look at her. Waiting on a call back. Has anyone ever had this happen? I am so upset :(

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Was the buck the same breed as her? Not a larger one I hope. If he was a larger breed, she may need a C section.

As long as she is of good size and healthy, at this point she may be OK.
You will have to be there at kidding time.
Yes, they are both Nigerian Dwarfs and he is very small also. She is just so tiny and I am worried about her. I thought she was just a little piggy and was getting fat until I noticed her teats and milk sack yesterday.

#3 ·
This close to the due date there's not much the vet is going to be able to do, because aborting the pregnancy would still mean delivering pretty much full-sized fetuses. She is at a higher risk of dystocia because of her age and size, so you will need to monitor her very closely to make sure you can attend the birth and have the vet's emergency number handy so you can call them if vet intervention is necessary. What I would do if it was me is immediately bump up her nutrition to a late-gestation ration. She's going to be okay - I'm really happy that you figured this out now instead of while she was giving birth!

#5 ·
I will be keeping a close eye on her. I am still waiting on the vet to call me back. I just want her to look at her and see if she thinks she will be able to give birth or might need a C-section. She is very tiny. I have a birthing stall so i can move her there. Thank you so much for the response.

#6 ·
Hi, she will probably be fine, one of my does accidentally got bred at almost 4 months old, sneaky little buckling got in. She was fine, she had a single buckling about 3 pounds . She was also a Nigerian dwarf .Are you feeding grain? If you are cut back her grain a little the last month of pregnancy so the babies don't get too big.
I was worried sick when I realized she was prego. But she had a very easy labor and was a better mama than some other does. But one thing that she did have some complications, was her milk production, she had barley any milk the first few days, but with some massaging and some warm compressions her milk came in, so when she has them make sure she's had enough milk. Hope this helps. And good luck

#8 ·
I had the same thing happen to a 5 month old doeling one time. Sneaky buck! She did fine and delivered a single baby. Luckily she was mature enough and made a goid momma. You might have issues with a strong maternal instinct at that age so be prepared for a lot of postnatal care like helping mom realize she is supposed to let baby nurse and keep it clean. Good luck.

#12 ·
Be sure not to put her in the kidding stall too early, exercise is super imperative to a strong labor and getting the kid(s) in position! If possible, you can actually let her kid out on the pasture or barn with the herd where she is possible (as long as you can monitor and prevent any bullying) then move her with the newborn(s) into the stall when she is done to bond. But if there are going to be cold nights or poor weather, penning her up is better.

Best wishes! I hope she has no issues. The best thing the veterinarian can help you with right now is letting you know their on-call/emergency availability and one backup veterinarian as well.

#13 ·
Be sure not to put her in the kidding stall too early, exercise is super imperative to a strong labor and getting the kid(s) in position! If possible, you can actually let her kid out on the pasture or barn with the herd where she is possible (as long as you can monitor and prevent any bullying) then move her with the newborn(s) into the stall when she is done to bond. But if there are going to be cold nights or poor weather, penning her up is better.

Best wishes! I hope she has no issues. The best thing the veterinarian can help you with right now is letting you know their on-call/emergency availability and one backup veterinarian as well.
Thank you so much. I actually have the vet coming today. She is going to do an ultrasound just to confirm and see how many kids. It will put my mind at ease and then I can really keep an eye on her. I do have my pasture sectioned off with the birthing stall in one section so i will be putting her in that section probably this week. Since she is the only preggo one I will probably leave another one with her for company. I have had ones that actually went into the stall to give birth and then had them not go in. It is supposed to get kinda cool and rainy the next couple of days here in North Florida but next week should be good.

#18 ·
Well, vet was finally able to get here today. Jolene is definitely pregnant with at least one kid. She said she looks very healthy and should be ok but she will be available if I need her. She gave me some tips in case I need to assist. I will just keep an eye on here for the next week. I figure sometime between March 12-16 will be the birthdate

#22 ·
Yall! Look what I found this morning! Beautiful, healthy little boy. He was born sometime early this morning. I have been on baby watch for 3 days and she has him early in the morning when I'm sleeping I have not observed him nursing yet so that concerns me. I tried to assist but she wasn't having none of that right now. But he was rooting and she is very interested in him so I think they will be fine. I am just so relieved everything is fine. Just wanted to give yall an update.

Attachments

#25 ·
Great news! Congratulations, you’ve got to hold her and teach her to be a momma. Make sure he gets colostrum ASAP. She’ll get it once he latches on and nurses her down and makes her feel better. With my FF, especially young ones after they drop their placenta and I check their temp, it must be within normal range I give them a dose of banamine and use preparation h on their lady parts.
If they’re more comfortable they are more receptive to being a mom.
Again, congratulations:) cute little buckling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.