The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need help. I noticed my goat limping the other day, and when I checked her hooves, it looked like she had really bad hoof rot. It's been really rainy and muddy, and I'm not sure how to treat it! Can anyone help out?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You can easily fix it with several options such as epsom salt soaks, LA200 squirted topically between the toes, Kopertox, Hoof N Heel, Thrush Buster, No Thrush Powder, and many more. Most should be available at your local farm store.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Im going through spring breakup now. the top 3 inches of ground has thawed but it is still frozen under that so the water just sits there. it is a muddy mess.
your goats are desert animals and when there hoof sinks in mud above its hoof wall it leaves small scratches that become infected. there are two related pathogens one is foot rot and the other is foot scaled. my guess is you have scald. Scaled is much easier to treat.
trim the hoof while you are at it do them all. clean the foot the Epson salt idea is a stroke of genus i will use it tomorrow. Then I spray with Blue cote.
blue cote is a long lasting fungicide and a disinfectant I treated three goats last week and if there foot hadn't still been blue i would never know who i treated.

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
Okay, since you are in Hawaii and can't get a lot of things without paying a fortune. Trim her hooves back as far as you can, dip it in Clorox type bleach, and then let it bubble out for a few minutes. Dip the hoof in warm water, put tallow or other fat around the very top of the hoof where the growth plate is.
Repeat, repeat, repeat...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.