The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my goat is sick, I bought him from a lady that was going to sell them as food. They've been on my farm for about a week now. The doe is doing perfect but the male goat has a mucus discharge and he's breathing heavily. He also eats very small amounts and I don't see him drinking water. Does anyone know what might begat might be wrong with him..?

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
Yes..take his temp...shouldbe 101.5-103.5... Check his lower inner eye lids..what color are they...should be bright pink to red

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Get a temp on him, but it sounds like pneumonia. Are his nostrils flared? Is he breathing rapidly? Flanks heaving? How has your weather been? Stress of moving from one place to another can mess with their immune system and leave them vulnerable to it. Temperature fluctuations can also do it, so can getting rained on and chilled.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any fever?
Any loose poop?
Any lumps on him?
How's he walking?
Just a few question
He walks slowly and I believe he has a fever. It's like 97 degrees here so his body feels hot. But not sure if its because of the sun or because of the fever. No loose poop.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a temp on him, but it sounds like pneumonia. Are his nostrils flared? Is he breathing rapidly? Flanks heaving? How has your weather been? Stress of moving from one place to another can mess with their immune system and leave them vulnerable to it. Temperature fluctuations can also do it, so can getting rained on and chilled.
No rain here. Just really high temperatures. For the past week it's been between 94-98 degrees. Now that you mention it when I went to pick them up I took a crate but the man had them tied up by their legs and said that that's the safest way to transport them. They were screaming and obviously scared so I untied them as soon as I got back home.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
Im sorry he did that to them..poor things..If his fever is normal (101.5-103.5)
I would give him B complex for the stress and help his appitite...
Probiotics to help his rumen's flora...
fresh hay feed and water of course...
and I would go a head and worm them both...the stress lowers the immune system and worm load increases...Ivomec Plus 1 cc per 40# Sub Q
here is a home made electrolyte recipe that he might rally enjoy and get his hydrtation up...

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
Could be shipping fever too. Is there a vet you can take him to? It sounds like he could use a vet or very experienced goat person to physically look at him and determine what is going on. They can have pneumonia without a temp too.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
Good Call Karen..didnt even think of that!!! If he were mine I would begin antitbiotics as a precaustion..Nuflor would be a good choice 3 cc per 100#..once a day for five days...

pasteurellosis, any bacterial disease caused by Pasteurella species. The name is sometimes used interchangeably with the so-called shipping fever, a specific type of pasteurellosis (caused by Pasteurella multocida) that commonly attacks cattle under stress, as during shipping. In this type of pasteurellosis, fever is followed by respiratory difficulty, which may lead to pneumonia and more severe symptoms. Treatment includes isolation, rest, and antibiotic therapy. Some immunity may be gained from antiserums and other preventive preparations. P. haemolytica, another organism that causes pasteurellosis, can produce pneumonia in sheep and cattle and septicemia in other animals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im sorry he did that to them..poor things..If his fever is normal (101.5-103.5)
I would give him B complex for the stress and help his appitite...
Probiotics to help his rumen's flora...
fresh hay feed and water of course...
and I would go a head and worm them both...the stress lowers the immune system and worm load increases...Ivomec Plus 1 cc per 40# Sub Q
here is a home made electrolyte recipe that he might rally enjoy and get his hydrtation up...

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.
Thanks! I'll try that asap!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be shipping fever too. Is there a vet you can take him to? It sounds like he could use a vet or very experienced goat person to physically look at him and determine what is going on. They can have pneumonia without a temp too.
Depending on how he looks today I might take him to my uncles farm. He's a vet and very experienced with goats.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
I would rather bring the vet to him..another trip might stress him out more than he can handle...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There has been a lot of pneumonia this year. I would suspect pneumonia. Is this an adult buck? Boy, if I had a Vet in the family I would certainly get him out there asap. Good luck!
No he's only about 6 months old.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This morning he ate all his grain and hay but his pee is really yellow (sign of dehydration, right?) also he has some type of cough/sneeze thing that he's doing. Yesterday I have him a vaccine of Penicillin and I think that seemed to help in some way.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
If you starte Pen...then do a full five days of that...try the electrolyte recipe I sent..goats love it and drink it well...sounds like he is feeling a bit better..Good job and catching this so fast..he will be up and going in no time : )

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you starte Pen...then do a full five days of that...try the electrolyte recipe I sent..goats love it and drink it well...sounds like he is feeling a bit better..Good job and catching this so fast..he will be up and going in no time : )
Approx how much Pen do you suggest I give him daily for those 5 days?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts