Help identify these by breed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by donbusbin, Sep 13, 2009.

1. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Can anyone ID these, Sister 1 and Sister 2 were born in March 09 from what I beleived to be a Kiko doe, she"s deceased so no pix. The brown one is growing much faster than the other.

New goat was bought at auction yesterday so no info from owner. She has a full udder but teats too small for milking. she is in milk but does not appear PG or to have recently given birth. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Don

Attached Files:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The white one looks like some kind of sanaan cross. The second one looks like full boer or boer/nubian and the third looks like a nubian cross of some kind.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the do have a kiko look about their faces.. maybe nubian kiko.. the white doe looks like she could be a saanen nubian cross

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

The first doe looks to be mostly saanen and a little nubian. her ears stick out and are too large to be purebred.
    The other two look to be bower crosses. They are very broad between the eyes. The second doe i would say more nubian then boer. but her head still looks very boer.
    beth

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The brown sister looks like she could have some Kikko in her with those ears. The one above definetly Boer, high percentage.
    But I have to say they in no way look like they are sisters there's just too great a difference. :shrug:

6. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    If the second one has 4 teats it is probably a Boer or Boer mix

Having an udder and no kidds. My doe that I thought was pregnant because her
    udder started to fill turned out to not be pregnant. My vet suggested that she
    may have been pregnant and the fetus died and was small enough to absorb
    back in. No baby but the udder still had the signal pregnant make milk.

Suellen

7. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    hmm i would guess saanen cross, boer cross, and nubian cross based on coloration alone. what did the kiko mom look like?

is a 4 teated boer cross a bad thing?

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I would definitely say the first one is a Saanen cross and , second mainly Boer with some Nubian, and the last mainly Nubian.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't mean to be rude guys.. but, didn't donbusbin say the last two were sister's out of the same dam??

I still think kiko-nubian on the sisters.. but the more i look at that white doe.. the more i want to say she has a meat breed ( spanish possibly) than a nubian

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

they look boer nubian to me, it apears one sister got more of the boer influence and one more of the nubian influence. I dont know about the kiko, i supose if the dam was a kiko cross, with nubian or boer and the sire a nubian boer cross they could come out looking mostly nubian/boer.
    beth

11. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Thanks, I had thought saahen also but am not familiar with them. The kiko doe looked classic kiko but had a very slight red tinge across her neck. I don' know that much about goats but some other animals, dogs in particular, can have litter mates with different sires, is this possible with goats??
    Does anyone know of a book with pictures of goat breeds? I have found very little on line.
    I have a chicken book that I use when I see an unfamiliar breed, one for goats would be very welcome.
    Thanks again.
    Don

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yes it is possible to havea doe bred to two different bucks with one kidding. but it is very rare.
    I dont know of any books with goat breeds but this is a good website http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/goats/
    beth

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my limited knowledge about the breeds tells me that the two sisters just resemble different parents.

Have you ever seen fraternal twins? one can look like one parent and the other look like the other parent.

THe first girl looks to resemble the father - more then likely a Boer

THe second girl looks to have the Kiko - and since you said the mom had color that explains her spots (Kikos can come in all sorts of colors I do believe. And who knows either parent might have been a mix too and not purebred. but I do think she has a KIko look to her)

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I agree with Stacey. But just thought I'd say that the little spotted one reminds me of the doe my boyfriend bought me not too long ago!

[​IMG]

Whatever they are, they sure are cute though. :wink:

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow Crissa ...they sure do look alike...don't they.... :greengrin: