Help Identifying Goat Breed?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Eidyia, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Eidyia

Eidyia New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Hi there :) Brand new to this site. I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help me identify the breed of this goat:
    [​IMG]

His name is Jerry Lee and he lives at Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glenn, NY. He is a rescue goat and has been sponsored through the efforts of me and other fans of a band called The Mountain Goats. If anyone knows, that would be awesome. He may or may not be a pure breed.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow look at those horns. Is he a wether or buck?

Almost looks like a miniature silky fainter from the coat...maybe a pygmy cross. Those ears look a little to big to be purebred pygmy or miniature silky though...the horns are off too. I really couldn't give ya a for sure answer. Interesting looking guy.

3. Pygmy for sure with the horns, rest show much of the Myotonic or Mini Silky eat set, face, coat, etc.

4. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Not sure on breed but he sure is nice looking!!

5. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome to TGS! :wave:

He's a handsome fella'! Wow I love his horns... I'm going to agree with the others. Maybe Pygmy/mini silky cross?

6. Welcome from NJ :wave:
    Yes look at those horns! I also would guess Pygmy cross of some sort.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    His ears say that he is a cross...horns however are misleading, I have a pygmy buck whose horns curve backward as well as a pygmy/nigerian wether with the same....and 2 pygmy/nigerian cross does whose horns are straight up and a pygmy/nigerian doe that curve back.
    The coat he has is what a pygmy/nigerian buck would have, however if he was recently wethered, the coat will change as he sheds out in spring( being a buck would also explain the heavy horns, my wether has a heavy set and he was altered at 2 years old)

If he is intact yet...there must not be any does near or he is bathed regularly because I've never seen a light colored buck as clean as he is.

8. Eidyia

Eidyia New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Thank you so much everyone!!! He really is a beautiful boy :) We fund raised money for him by making a cover album of Mountain Goats songs and then taking donations in exchange for cds. The consensus seems to be Pygmy cross with either silky or fainter. If he did have fainter in him, wouldn't he fall over when scared or does that only happen in pure breed fainters? (I figure that's the easiest way to test if he has fainter in him). Note: I know hardly anything about goats but I just took a bio course that included genetics so I understand a little of that :) I'm not sure if he's a wether or a buck. I can't wait to met this little guy :D

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It depends on how much fainter he has in him ...not sure if he will go stiff ...or fall when spooked....you never know... unless you try..... even then ...sometimes if they are a cross ...they might not respond like the fainter.... :wink:

He is a really nice looking guy.... :thumb:

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Those are some hefty horns for such a little guy. I always wonder how the heck some goats keep their heads up with huge horns like that!