Help identifying tree

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Sep 10, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I need to know what kind of tree this is.....some type of cedar/juniper? It is in an area we are fencing for the goats....would like to leave it unless it is poisionous.
    any thoughts?
    Thanks so much, Denise

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It does look to be of the juniper variety.....all the lists I've done a search of does not include either cedar or juniper to be toxic.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Liz.....new fencing is going up tomorrow, so DH would like to know whether to take it down or not....I would love to leave it for the boys......would make great shade for them unless they kill it :greengrin: ! I figure they will only strip it so far up.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....Yes, excellent shade but they will likely end up making it look really bad or they'll leave it alone.

A repeat customer that has gotten kids from me the last 2 years decided to fence a paddock area around a 5 foot blue spruce for the goaties, now he had also fenced around the tree as well to keep the goats from it.....it didn't work, and I did tell him that if they could get to it they would. The little goaties were able to get UNDER the tree's fence and well.....it is now dead, I sorta had to chuckle when he told me this as I did tell him that goats will always try to get what they can't have and had he left the tree unfenced they likely wouldn't have bothered it.
    Your boys will likely leave it alone, why would they want something like that when they have a mommy that spoils them :wink: :hug: