The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now in a dilemma...

Just got my first two kids from two does...both billies. Both adorable.

Both come from a tricolor nubian

One is white with a black stripe kid to a sweet alpine with nice even udder
Other is black w white stockings and face markings kid to sweet togg w possible history of mastitis

Both does got lots of milk and neither had issues delivering.

Thoughts?

I read a while back that future offspring (does) will have similar characteristics to billy's mom. What has your experience been with genes in generations?

I cant keep both. And I need to decide son as I want to disbud the one I'm keeping

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I would pick the one with the best conformation and whose mom has best conformation. But a problem with mastitis is definitely something to consider too.

·
2,203 Posts
The history of mastitis? Did you ever test to see if she is just a high SCC doe carrying subclinical mastitis or tested to see what you were up against?

Without the knowledge of the answer to those questions I would first base my choice on conformation. I would finalize my selection after I knew what momma really had issues with.

Good luck!! You'll choose right! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I'm understanding you right, one is alpine-nubian and the other is toggenburg-nubian (50-50) - both with the same nubian sire.

Personally, I wouldn't keep a crossbreed as an intact buck (unless you are working with a specific cross - e.g., minis, pygoras, etc - and moving toward F2+). Even then, I wouldn't plan to linebreed back to mom (IMO, too close on a goat - even with rabbits I would only go that close if I have a specific trait I want to fix and then plan to follow with an outcross to unrelated stock in the next generation). If breeding to another doe (not mom) what breed is she? I'm not sure of the value in producing dairy crosses with more than 2 breeds.

If you are keeping as a future breeding buck to produce backyard milk goats (not show quality as they will all be crossbreeds), then yes, mom's milk is your first consideration. If you don't have milk records for these two does, then the alpine is the better bet. History of mastitis on the other doe would worry me.

If keeping as a wether, for what purpose? Meat, show, pet, companion, pack, trail, driving? I'd be looking for quite different characteristics depending on the purpose. e.g., Toggs and Togg crosses tend to be larger and thinker-boned and so make better pack/trail wethers.

And what are the plans for the one you are not keeping? Unless you have a buyer lined up that wants the other with horns, disbud both.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The other would be possibly to sell or meat. I can only have one buck. I have 6 does..1 alpine. 1 tog. 2 boer 2 nubian .

Not for show. Have a couple as pets and wethers will be for meat. Don't milk either. Just don't have much time for bottle babies so need does that can take care of their kids and I can trust around my 3 yr old daughter

·
Registered
214 Posts
You cannot trust any buck around a 3 year old. Even our normally sweet-tempered former bottle-baby angora buck reared up on my 13 year old the other week.

He will have to be penned separately from your does with kids and will need a wether companion when the does are not in with him.

If your main purpose in keeping goats is to produce meat wethers, then of these two I would keep the Togg cross. He will likely produce heavier, faster-growing kids. Better would be to trade these two for a boer or boer-cross. If your main purpose is producing kid friendly pets, either works, but better would be to trade these two for a nigerian to produce minis.

You don't need a great udder for a goat to handle her own babies. Even those that look like they have no udder at all do fine most of the time. And even the ones with a great udder can have a problem out of the blue. You do want to avoid lines that throw triplets (seems like usually you end up bottlefeeding the weakest of the three unless you have a really exceptional doe).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts