Help! Injured dog!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay my 16 year old mutt has a hole in his head (we have no idea what happened) and his head and left eye are swollen and his eye is oozing puss. What can we do? We've put a bandage over the hole along with some neosporin and we keep cleaning the eye. My mom will be taking him to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't look any better. I'll try and get a couple of pics of it. Thanks in advance!

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    How long has he had this injury? Cause it would take some time fore pus to form? If it just happened could it be something beside pus?

Could it be an abscess? If so, I would treat it like a goat, being careful of his eye. I have never had a dog get an abscess though- they are usually so resistantant to infection like that.

If you think abscess, I would make sure it can drain.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would call the vet to see if you can get in tomorrow. anything that involves the head or eye could potentially be serious.

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    He's had it about 5 days and it just starting draining the pus. I really doubt it's an abscess though.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like an infection has set in since i dont know what antibiotics are ok for dogs I don't want to suggest anything.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks, I think my mom is just going to have to take him to the vet tomorrow.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Definately needs to go to the vet sooner then later. It really does sound like an abcess. Could have started by a small punture wound.

I would not give any pen, as it lasts in the blood system for 24 hours, and depending on what the doc prescribes, probobly Baytril and Rimadyl, they will not want the pen in the system.

Good luck and let us know~

9. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    How is your pup doing?

Did you get him to the vet and on antibiotics? Sounds like he had a nasty wound that got badly infected...possibly got into a dogfight if it was a puncture wound?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hope the pup is doing better. Let us know.

11. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I hope the dog is doing better. Definately don't want to wait around on getting them to the vet.