The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I should worry is this bloat? we are massaging his belly and not allowing him to eat more of anything. We are currently bottle feeding 12 oz. 3 times a day dumor milk replacer, 3/4 to 1 cup purina grower daily, free choice hay, fresh water free choice minerals. I guess I should add he is an 8 week old goat we are planning on bottle feeding until 12 weeks. Sorry for silly questions I'm new to goats and dont want to screw up. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
Has he been on replacer the whole time? I would give a baking soda drench and only offer hay, no grain. Electrolyes, no milk for 24 hours. Slowly start back on milk, with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle. If he is new to replacer I would give whole cows milk - replacers can cause some problems. Take his temp. Has he been given and cocci prevention - have you had a fecal done on him?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has he been on replacer the whole time? I would give a baking soda drench and only offer hay, no grain. Electrolyes, no milk for 24 hours. Slowly start back on milk, with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle. If he is new to replacer I would give whole cows milk - replacers can cause some problems. Take his temp. Has he been given and cocci prevention - have you had a fecal done on him?
They have been on replacer for a little over a week switched from mom to replacer slowly increasing replacer. Whole milk from the store? Also I let them out with me in the pasture (didn't let him eat) and he started to run and play as usual. Good sign? Bloated left side seems to be quite a bit less almost same as right side. Thank you I will call a vet and get a check up done!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Should I mix baking soda into their minerals? Or should I put it in another bin?
It shouldn't hurt to mix it, but I'd say if you are doing it free choice to not mix the minerals and baking soda, because the goat will know what he needs and will probably be taking more of the baking soda than minerals. So, it would probably be best to have them separate

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Don't leave out baking soda. Baking soda should only be given when necessary. It is good to put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day. Replacer is well known for causing bloating and diarrhea in kids.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Do not mix the baking soda in the minerals, did that once years ago, my goats didn't lick from it as often and showed deficiencies.

Have it separate and only offer it when you see bloat coming on. Short term only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts