The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please..... I suppose I'm luck to go 7 months with 5 goats & this is the first problem we've had. I have 1 doe that has swelling under her left eye and the eyelid is redder than normal. Is this pinkeye? She doesn't have a fever & had been eating/drinking normally.

I've attached the best picture I could get with the other 4 kids climbing all over me.... none of them appears to have the same problem.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.... it's a SundY & no vet available close by even if it wasn't. I do have LA200 on hand, but want someone else's opinion before I go shootin by goatie up with it.

thanks in advance - mmm

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry..... I guess it would be her right eye. My left when facing her.

Maybe I'm related to Forrest Gump somehow.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
well I can't say for sure one way or the other but I would venture to guess the no she doesn't have pink eye.

But I can be wrong.

I delt with pink eye before so if you go to my website and under goat care basics click on pink eye help I think it is. there are pictures and info there

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the reply Stacey. I'm hoping it's just hay dust or something that's caused swelling. I"m going to flush it with saline solution & maybe give her some ProBios to boost her immune system.

Your site is great.... thanks. I'm going to get the human pinkeye Tx to have on hand just in case. I want to save the antibiotic & shots as a last resort.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I"m hoping it way hay debris that got into her eye. I flushed it really good w/saline solution & several hay particles flushed out (Sarah did not care for that process at all) and will check her several times a day for a while.

It takes a crisis to really educate a newbie :) I now know what pinkeye definitely looks like and hope I don't encounter it ......... ever.

I did get some really humorous video when trying to take a still pic of Sarah's eye wasn't working. My Ophelia is a camera hog.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does she have much drainage from her eye? Usually pink eye is really watery with green drainage.

Try putting a wet tea bag over her eye and holding it there for 20 minutes. Then do it again later on. It might help.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Something else you can do after it is washed out. Put some Neosporine (sp) in the eye. That will coat it and help any irritation.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Her eye is just fine now. All I had to do was flush it out w/saline solution. Must've been hay junk or something that got in her eye.

I also found out one quick way to get the other goaties to scatter is to bring out a syringe. Even w/no needle on the end, the others stayed as far away from us as they could :)

mmm

·
Registered
265 Posts
It definitely was not Pink Eye...Pink Eye is unmistakable!!! Their eye; white, pupil, and iris will be a darkish blood red... and they will weep alot of fluid because of the irritation; light will bother them. Nitrofurizone powder clears it up in a matter of days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts