Help - is this pinkeye?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MissMM, Dec 2, 2007.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Help please..... I suppose I'm luck to go 7 months with 5 goats & this is the first problem we've had. I have 1 doe that has swelling under her left eye and the eyelid is redder than normal. Is this pinkeye? She doesn't have a fever & had been eating/drinking normally.

I've attached the best picture I could get with the other 4 kids climbing all over me.... none of them appears to have the same problem.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.... it's a SundY & no vet available close by even if it wasn't. I do have LA200 on hand, but want someone else's opinion before I go shootin by goatie up with it.

thanks in advance - mmm[​IMG]

2. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Sorry..... I guess it would be her right eye. My left when facing her.

Maybe I'm related to Forrest Gump somehow.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I can't say for sure one way or the other but I would venture to guess the no she doesn't have pink eye.

But I can be wrong.

I delt with pink eye before so if you go to my website and under goat care basics click on pink eye help I think it is. there are pictures and info there

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks so much for the reply Stacey. I'm hoping it's just hay dust or something that's caused swelling. I"m going to flush it with saline solution & maybe give her some ProBios to boost her immune system.

Your site is great.... thanks. I'm going to get the human pinkeye Tx to have on hand just in case. I want to save the antibiotic & shots as a last resort.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I didn't find them helpful. Now when the pink eye drops are gone I have no idea what I will use but so far I haven't had issues with pink eye since

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    It kind of looks like someone else hit her. Or something got in the bottom of her eye. If you've flushed it, I'd wait a day or two and see what it does.

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    if it is not pink eye(i have never dealt with it) & just irratation you can get terricycine eye onintment at the drug store & use it. i had a doe that got hit hard & her eye swelled & was blood shot & i treated it with that & it cleared up in a couple of days.

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I"m hoping it way hay debris that got into her eye. I flushed it really good w/saline solution & several hay particles flushed out (Sarah did not care for that process at all) and will check her several times a day for a while.

It takes a crisis to really educate a newbie :) I now know what pinkeye definitely looks like and hope I don't encounter it ......... ever.

I did get some really humorous video when trying to take a still pic of Sarah's eye wasn't working. My Ophelia is a camera hog.

9. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Does she have much drainage from her eye? Usually pink eye is really watery with green drainage.

Try putting a wet tea bag over her eye and holding it there for 20 minutes. Then do it again later on. It might help.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something else you can do after it is washed out. Put some Neosporine (sp) in the eye. That will coat it and help any irritation.

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Her eye is just fine now. All I had to do was flush it out w/saline solution. Must've been hay junk or something that got in her eye.

I also found out one quick way to get the other goaties to scatter is to bring out a syringe. Even w/no needle on the end, the others stayed as far away from us as they could :)

mmm

12. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    It definitely was not Pink Eye...Pink Eye is unmistakable!!! Their eye; white, pupil, and iris will be a darkish blood red... and they will weep alot of fluid because of the irritation; light will bother them. Nitrofurizone powder clears it up in a matter of days.