Help?!? Jemima is acting strange

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Potemkyn, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    It could be time for her to kid, but we're not sure. This is the little goat that wan't suppose to get bred.

She's usually very vocal, now she's utterly quiet. Not eating much at all, not chewing her cud, and her bowels are loose. She's not moving around much. She'll move to check out the feed or hay you're providing, but other than a whiff, that's it.

Her eyes are moist, and wet an inch or so down. And her ears a cool. She's half nubian and half alpine, though her dam looked just like a toggenburg, Sire was the nubian. Her dam died fours days after Jemima was born.

She's drinking the apple cider vinegar water, but not much of the molassas water or molassas baking soda water.

Guess that's about it. Does it sound like she's about to kid or what? :pray:

Thanks

Mike

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    How are her ligs and udder looking? I would say she is entering or going to enter labor.

3. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Re: Help?!? Jemima is acting strange!

Jemima's udder has had colostrum for a week or so. And her ligaments are much looser than previously When my MilkMaid (2nd daughter) told me this, I thought she might be going into labor. :baby:

I do hope this is her going into labor. Stood by watched her abdomen for awhile. I didn't notice any contractions, but she has labored breathing for awhile.

MilkMaid is spending the night in the kidding stall with Jemima.

Jemima will be a year old in a couple of weeks. The little rascal found a low spot under the fence and got friendly with the buck. :doh:

Goats! :roll:

Mike

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like she could be getting close, watch closely for contractions, they will raise their tail up, and their rump will get steep when they have them.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is she doing today?

Did I read your post correct, do you have molasses water with baking soda out for her? I have never heard of putting the baking soda in the water. It should be just left out free choice powder, and i would not give her that much sugar this close to kidding. I would give her just fresh water, and one with the Apple Cider vinegar, so she has a choice. I would give her some molasses water AFTER she kids.

6. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Just a quick post to let y'all know that she seems better - no kids, and she's still quiet, but she's eating and moving around again.

Mike's Daughter