Help~! kid not talking teat

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MrKamir, Jul 16, 2010.

1. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Hey Y'all. Having sort of a similiar problem. I just lost a baby a week ago and I don't want to lose this one. Mama had baby last night and I haven't seen baby suck on her yet. He looks strong and healthy and wagging tail. I even missed work this time(boss not too happy). Anyways, please help. Mama wants baby to suck but baby won't . I put the baby up to the teat and baby won't suck. I milked the mama and let the baby taste it and he liked it. I even stuck a finger in his mouth and he suck on it. Put him up to the teat but won't take it. I tried this 3 times already. I have bottle fed babies before and I agree, it is better for mama to do the job. any suggestions? :?

2. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Re: day old baby not taking bottle!!!!!

From my experience - assisted by the wonderful people on TGS, the Bo-Se shot and the liquid from a Vitamin E pill got Zola sucking within an hour!:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14667

She is now weaned and one of the most beautiful goats on the place!

3. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Re: day old baby not taking bottle!!!!!

I tried putting him up to the teat again and he nibbled on it but he didn't grasped it fully. I was advised by other goat people in my area not to give bo se cause we already have alot of nutrients in our land. I just gonna keep on trying to get him to eat.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You just got to keep trying.....some kids are real slow.... get a syringe without needle...and put momma's milk it it..fill it a 3 times.....feed to kid.....so he gets colostrum.... as you are feeding the kid... plunge it very slowly..giving little breaks so he can breath.....do this at the back corner of the mouth and with your index finger.....put it in his mouth... as if it where a teat.....move it in and out a few times to try to get the kid to suck ....once you get the sucking ...put on mom.....good luck... :hug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If this little one is wagging the tail, and up and around, I would bet they are nursing when you are not looking.

Something you can do is put the baby on the teat, and kind of tickle the area where the tail and the back meat, (tail head). That is what mom does to get the baby to nurse, they lick them there.

Kind of put your fingers around the tummy of the baby and feel if it feels full or is it sunk in and empty feeling?

Good luck, you can do it.

6. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    I know it's been awhile since I last wrote...I forgot to tell you that after the 4th try, he finally ate. He is now 4 weeks old now and is alot bigger than his cousins who are 2 weeks older. Thanks so much for your help.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    love to hear the results of how things work out.

My experience is that boys take a while to figure out the teat - dont ask me why but its always the boys that want it and go for it but dont actually figure it out totally till after their sisters

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: :cool: :clap: :hi5: congrats..... :stars:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good job!!! I had a couple of ADD kids this yr. Take one or two brief sucks and off to play. They drove me nuts!!! Kids!! Finish your meal ya dingalings!