The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe Carly just had triplets breach doeling first appears to be okay, next was a buckling head only the front legs were twisted around behind his head and now won't straighten out. He can't stand up. The last buckling was head and single leg presentation and the other leg is kinda twisted weird won't straighten out and he can't stand up either. Do you think that the 2 bucklings could get there legs straightened out and working correctly?
Buckling #1

Buckling #2

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
They will need to be bottled as this severe disability will take time to get them on their feet. A vet evaluation would be good. In the mean time I would give a second dose of selenium paste in 24 hours along with an extra vit e gel cap and a cod liver gel cap. (Just poke a hole and squeeze in their mouth). Do cod liver oil once a day for 3 days then once a week for another few weeks.. If you have access to quality essential oils..lemongrass is great for ligaments.
Do very warm compresses and with gentleness massage and begin stretching legs..not passed their pain point..just a little at a time. Get them up and move them often. This will take time. You can splint them at the point of gentle pressure after each session to help keep them at that point. Make sure not to be too tight. Always feel feet and above the splint 30 minutes or so after applying. If cool to touch..its too tight. Good luck!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wellllll, I think maybe we are going to just put both of them down. 😢 Buck 1 the left ulna (forearm) is half the length of the right and curved and the right forearm is so twisted so that the knee bends the wrong way. Buck 2 the right forearm is half the length of the left and slightly twisted. 😢 I'm worried that no amount of physical therapy will help with the short leg 😢 my heart is breaking with this decision, but I want to do the right thing 😢

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Okay, I'm all for simple and easy. Got all the towels washed and dried back into my kidding kit. I think I'm ready for the last kidding. Please someone tell Sassy to do it in the daytime 😊
Oh I feel you. Both my does just had to wait 'til night time.

Sassy, girl. Make it easy on everyone and pop those babies out with no tricks, and be sure to do it when it's bright out so everyone can get a good look at those gorgeous little babies you made.😄

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I'm sorry about the boys. You did the right thing..sounds like they were pretty badly twisted.
Congratulations on your baby girl. She's beautiful. Best wishes for your next kidding

1 - 20 of 22 Posts