The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please... New to goats and my baby boy is not feeling well! We think it's bloating but not sure! Symptoms: away from the herd, wants to lay down and not move around, barely eating or drinking, becoming weak and slow moving, not playful or vocal, tail standing up, stomach clinching. He has no other symptoms!
We gave him milk of magnesia about an hour ago. Anything else it could be or I should try?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Take his temp. Drench baking soda and massage his rumen, keeping his chest elevated so that the gas is more likely to escape. Has he urinated and/or pooped?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He only pooped two pebbles this morning and I have not seen him urinate! But has not drank much water! We are thinking of trying to give a syringe of water to him! Going to take temp now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fever! I think it's definately bloating! Will try charcoal! And lots of walking! Hasn't drank hardly any water! Should I try a syringe of water? It's 90 degrees and I am concerned with his dehydrating as well.

·
Catharina
2,247 Posts
Definitely syringe or basting bulb with water. You can add electrolytes to it.

Can you take him to a vet? These digestive things can go bad fast.

If he drinks but can't pee it could be a blocked urethra which is extremely serious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well he isn't going Pee at all! He is straining to go, and crying when he tries! I think he has a stone, taking him to the vet in the am! Anyone know what the average cost to have it remove is?

·
Registered
30,207 Posts
Good luck...:(

·
Registered
30,207 Posts
any news??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I took my lil Simon in and they kept him over night! His bladder was larger than a full size goat can handle. He has fluid around his kidneys. They have drained the bladder and he is quite happy again! Tomorrow they are doing an X-ray to find out where the stones are! They removed the pizzle (?) today but no stones were there! Once they find the stones then they will have to do surgery to remove them however it's gonna cost a couple thousand dollars, ugh... Which I don't have! My son made me a gofund me page to see if anyone can help! My family has been spreading the word!

·
Registered
30,207 Posts
glad he is comfortable...sending good thoughts for his care and recovery!!

·
Catharina
2,247 Posts
Wow, that's rough! :shock: Poor little guy, but I'm glad his bladder didn't burst. Your quick response prevented that from happening! He will be fine without his pizzle. I'm glad he's out of pain & will keep my fingers crossed that the blockage is in the least expensive place. :|

1 - 20 of 26 Posts