HELP! Lethargic sick 4 month old nigerian

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ttoyz869, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Ttoyz869

Ttoyz869 New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Help please... New to goats and my baby boy is not feeling well! We think it's bloating but not sure! Symptoms: away from the herd, wants to lay down and not move around, barely eating or drinking, becoming weak and slow moving, not playful or vocal, tail standing up, stomach clinching. He has no other symptoms!
    We gave him milk of magnesia about an hour ago. Anything else it could be or I should try?

2. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Take his temp. Drench baking soda and massage his rumen, keeping his chest elevated so that the gas is more likely to escape. Has he urinated and/or pooped?

3. Ttoyz869

Ttoyz869 New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    He only pooped two pebbles this morning and I have not seen him urinate! But has not drank much water! We are thinking of trying to give a syringe of water to him! Going to take temp now!

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    If you have activated charcoal, give him some.

5. Ttoyz869

Ttoyz869 New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    No fever! I think it's definately bloating! Will try charcoal! And lots of walking! Hasn't drank hardly any water! Should I try a syringe of water? It's 90 degrees and I am concerned with his dehydrating as well.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd really want to see him pee.

7. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Definitely syringe or basting bulb with water. You can add electrolytes to it.

Can you take him to a vet? These digestive things can go bad fast.

If he drinks but can't pee it could be a blocked urethra which is extremely serious.

8. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    When you do the syringe, squirt it between his cheek & gums so he doesn't choke.

9. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    How's your goat doing today? Better I hope!

10. Ttoyz869

Ttoyz869 New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Well he isn't going Pee at all! He is straining to go, and crying when he tries! I think he has a stone, taking him to the vet in the am! Anyone know what the average cost to have it remove is?

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It really depends on where the stone is. Good luck. I hope the vet can help.

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  13. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
  14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  15. Ttoyz869

Ttoyz869 New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Well, I took my lil Simon in and they kept him over night! His bladder was larger than a full size goat can handle. He has fluid around his kidneys. They have drained the bladder and he is quite happy again! Tomorrow they are doing an X-ray to find out where the stones are! They removed the pizzle (?) today but no stones were there! Once they find the stones then they will have to do surgery to remove them however it's gonna cost a couple thousand dollars, ugh... Which I don't have! My son made me a gofund me page to see if anyone can help! My family has been spreading the word!

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    glad he is comfortable...sending good thoughts for his care and recovery!!

17. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Wow, that's rough! :shock: Poor little guy, but I'm glad his bladder didn't burst. Your quick response prevented that from happening! He will be fine without his pizzle. I'm glad he's out of pain & will keep my fingers crossed that the blockage is in the least expensive place. :|

18. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Awe poor guy! I hope you're able to pull the funds together

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor guy, hope he feels better soon.

20. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016