HELP! Lice on babies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4hmama, Mar 7, 2009.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I was playing with my babies that were born on Tuesday, and they have lice! I checked the rest of my herd, and everyone has them! What can I use to get rid of them, and what is safe for the > 1 week old kids??

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ivermectin 1cc per 20 lbs Orally or SQ... for lice or mange....adults ...
    are any of your does still preggo?

dust or powder the kids for lice....they are to young to give ivomac...

3. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I have one preggo doe that is due late June, and one doe that is nursing. I finally found a friend who had some ivomec, but is unsure of how old it is... :? the date has been rubbed off. Would you give it?? I have some herbal spray that I used temporarily - jasmine, lavendar, tea tree oil, etc., - I don't think it should have any adverse effects... Going to go clean everything tomorrow.... I do have DE which I figured I'd dust the shed with, and add to the bedding. Any other suggestions?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would use the lavendar. Lice dont like the lavendar. Dont be to alarmed, I had this happen last year. I felt so bad! but it was gone in a couple weeks.

I used permectrin CDS down their backs (like frontline)

But I hear you can do that same with the lavendar

Sevin dust works too

5. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I just worry because the babies that were born on Tuesday, have a lot of lice already. The lice are flat and tan, so I think they are the biting, not sucking lice. I sprayed the babies down with the herbal spray - mom and the others too - hoping that they might get some relief until I can get things done tomorrow. I know that creepy-crawlies can do a number on puppies and kittens in no time...I just want to keep the babies healthy.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would try to get it more to their skin then just the outer hair. You need to clean out the bedding and treat the area (I suggest Sevin dust on the floor (dirt or not) and then lay down new bedding

I dont believe Ivermectin will work against Biting Lice only sucking

7. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I parted hair and sprayed, then rubbed. They weren't saturated, but I made sure to get the spray down to the skin. I knew that mom was having hair loss trouble, but thought it was zinc deficiency, hormones, and ear mites. I had used VET RX like some of you guys suggested, and the hair started coming back around face and ears, made sure the minerals were available, and thought it was under control. She is a dark chamoise, and I couldn't see anything on her, but you sure can see lice on the white babies!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I didnt see the lice on the babies till I saw the nits on a black goats face. I had wondered why they were scratching so much but was so worried about the coccidia problem I had I didnt look to much into it :roll:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I use permectrin II - 2.5 cc per 1 quart water. Put in spray bottle and go down the spine of each animal as you do with frontline.

Use kitten flea powder on the kids.

I had this happen last year. Been treating all adults every 4-6 weeks with a little of the spray and have not had any problems this year at all!