Help! Listeriosis!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CluelessGoat, Jan 19, 2020.

1. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    As per the username, I am absolutely clueless at the moment and need help. Long story short, I am long term petsitting and I have 4 goats under my care. Last week on Wednesday I noticed Shirley (I believe she is a Nigerian but slightly bigger. She was a rescue.) I believe she is around 7-9 years old. She was was acting weird. Her head was close to the ground but she wasn’t eating. And she was next to the fence a lot. The next day, she was laying in the corner behind the shed. She wouldn’t get up. Took her to the vet, they said she had polio. She stayed there Thursday evening to Saturday morning. When I picked her up, they had videos of her walking around for them, but doing wide circles. Okay, cool. She came home Saturday and she started Thiamine 2x a day for 10 days. She could not stand by that night. They had given her thiamine in the vein. I was doing it by the muscle so, okay, a little regression is okay. Sunday morning I panicked. Called the vet, she doesn’t know enough to tell over the phone so I called Auburn. Talked to their ruminant animal vet, he said the only thing I could do is start treatment for Listeriosis and continue the Thiamine. Otherwise, take her to Auburn. She’s a pet rescue goat. We are starting to talk about major money on a goat that may or may not make it and I, by no means, have any clue how to manage this. Talked to the owner, treat for Listeriosis and go from there. Okay, got Nuflor 300mg, 2mL a day for 10 days. I have 4 days after today. This is my question, when do you decide when to put her down? I’ve read everything I can find about Listeriosis but nothing on the recovery/care until I found this forum....today.

Shirley hasn’t stood on her own for a week. She still can’t drink water for herself unless I hold her head where it needs to be. She has lost control of her eye movement in both eyes. For awhile her neck was so rigid, I had to prop her head up with blankets or anything I could find that would work. Changed her from side to side every 2 hours. At first she didn’t drink much at all but has been drinking more and more every day, her neck is progressively getting more relaxed and she is able to hold her head up for short periods with a slight assist. She has started moving more, moving to scratch her head with her leg, stretching from time to time. She has started to open her mouth like she is yawning at odd times. Today she seems like she is starting to regain control of her eye movement, not by much but it’s there. I don’t know what to do at this point, I have to be able to tell the owner when it’s time or not. I’m not equipped or have the knowledge to do intensive care such as IV, feeding tubes, etc. What can I do? Is she just miserable? When do you call it? Am I missing something vital?

Help me please!

2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Ok, she needs dex and penicillin along with the b
    Here's an article but I'm going to flag some others to help you!

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

@toth boer goats @Jessica84 @SalteyLove @HoosierShadow @goathiker @happybleats

It sounds like she's starting to get back on track but it's not something that happens overnight. We're talking weeks not days. No matter what don't stop treatments or you'll wind up at ground zero again. She has to be symptom free for at minimum 48 hours

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.

3. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    So I should get more antibiotics? If I can buy penicillin from the local feed store, would that work? And do I need to get more Thiamine? She was done with the round on Friday.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes, do you have a tractor supply nearby? They carry pen g as well as vitamin b complex that will work just make sure the thiamine/vitamin B-1 is 100 mg's the dex you have to get prescribed but if you can get banamine or have it that will work too

5. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    I do! There is a locally owned place that I believe carries it as well. Do I administer it through a shot in the thigh still? For the B and Pen? What is dex? What is banamine? (Thought I think it’s a dewormer?)

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Both are sub q
    Dex and banamine prevent the brain from swelling and help in the recovery process. Can you talk to the vet to get Meds?

Read the article I linked it's the best out there for treatments that work and it will explain it better than I ever could

7. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    Yes, that won’t be any problem, just need to know what to ask for

8. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    That's great ask for the Dexamethasone it will really help

9. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Make sure you're keeping her hydrated and giving her lots of nourishment. You can give her a slurry of ground up alfalfa pellets mixed with molasses and dyne mixed with enough water to be drenched or stomach tubed

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Wow I'm so sorry! You are doing a really great job but it seems to me like you got some poor advice from the start.

I think you should start over with the treatment for both Polio and Listeriosis. I do understand you are probably completely exhausted and drained. It's up to you about the euthanasia decision because only you can see her in person.

Here is what I recommend, go to the feed store cattle section and buy Fortified B-Complex and Penicillin injectable, syringes and needles. Also buy a bag of alfalfa pellets in the horse section. And then get more Dexamethasone from the vet, and 5 days decreasing dosage.

You can stop giving Intramuscular injections, you only need to give subcutaneous. But she is going to be a pin cushion and it sucks.

Begin injecting both the B-Complex and the Penicillin around the clock every four-six hours. Give the Dex once per day. Continue helping her drink. Soak the alfalfa pellets into a mash and see if you can use a turkey baster or large syringe to give this to her through corner of her mouth if she has swallowing capability!

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The 4-6 hour schedule around the clock is really critical for recovery and you just can't stop until she becomes symptom free then you need to space it out slowly and wean her down to once injection a day.

12. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You have great advice and help here but i do have questions..... where is this goat’s owner.. you said you were just the sitter? Is there some reason the owner is not taking care of this animal? You said it has been over a week.... if i were the owner i would have moved hell and high water to be home with my animal by now. :/. What does the owner say on this all? Is the owner paying for all of this cause it is not cheap. Does the owner not have a regular vet that will give the required prescription only meds for this?

13. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    The owner lives out of state. I’m residing at her home/taking care of animals while she lives in Virginia. It’s a long term sitting as in years. So she is not able to come because of work and other obligations. These are backyard pet goats. I have 4 but only Shirley has gotten sick or shown any symptoms. Yes the owner is paying expenses which is why I am trying to figure out if she is getting better or if we need to let her go. Neither one of us know that much about goats other than the usual care/deworming but no vets. The closest one we have that actually has the knowledge to diagnose and treat is Auburn. Our local vet has basic knowledge because she did farm animals but her knowledge ends where we are at. Auburn just isn’t an option. The vet and I have discussed this and she will get whatever I need (within reason)

14. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Ok let's get this goat better ....or try our best to.we're not vets but there's a lot of experienced folks on this forum....
    Please follow the protocol in the article and the advice you've been given. Everyone here loves goats and only wants to help and has their best interest at heart. No one is judging or accusing.

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  15. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    It’s a weird situation ‍♀️. But I’ve already put a call into the vet and will be going to tractor supply in the AM. Is there anything I need to look out for? My main concern is making sure she is getting better and not just suffering. If y’all say there is hope and I’m going to keep giving her shots and doing my best. She hasn’t given up yet and neither am I. I’m just clueless as to what to look for symptom wise and behavior. Other than the B complex, Dex, and Penicillin is there anything else I can do to keep her comfortable or help?

How much Pen should I give her? And the B complex? (Unless it’s on the label). Dex dosage? Also, @GoofyGoat I know you said it was not a days but weeks illness, how long should I be prepared to keep giving shots at minimum? 2 weeks?

16. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

If she is not drinkin a lot electrolyte will help too. Or try a blop of molasses in a water. But keep a bucket of clean water for her also. Keeping her in a small space might also help her get around better when she is mobile.

Sorry if i sounded snippy before. I was not meanin to. :)

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  17. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    The protocol is by live weight so you'll have to weigh her. My friends goat completely recovered but it took a couple weeks. It's up to you and your goat.
    Here's screen shots of the treatment protocol.

Attached Files:

Sfgwife likes this.
  18. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    Thank y’all so much for helping me! I’ll probably post again with questions or concerns but I feel much more confident now that Shirley and I will get her through this! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Moers kiko boars and SalteyLove like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All excellent advice.
    Follow what has been said.

Praying the goat improves.
    Keep up the good work.
    Hang in there. :hug:

20. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    Just wanted to say thank you for all of your advice and help. Shirley passed away this morning. I appreciate y’all helping me.