Help me design my barn!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Mar 20, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I'm gutting my barn in preparation for making stalls for the various animals I hope to have.

I'm planning on, by mid-summer: 2 boers (buck and doe), 3 nubians (buck and 2 does), 3 hair sheep (ram and 2 ewes), 2 pygmys (wethers), 1 potbellied pig, 15 chickens (rhode island reds), and 1 guardian dog (pyr /maremma cross).

So, how would you go about arranging living quarters for all these critters? How much space for each pen? My barn is about 35 long x 25 wide. I want to leave room at the front for a milking area and general purposes.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    By the way, I already have one very sturdy 10 x 10 pen that won't be torn out. Everything else is a clean slate.

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well you will want to put the males in one place, females in another, and pig in a secure place on its own, for a start...

would the chickens be free range?

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Yes, the chickens will be free range.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well the sheep should be able to stay outside all the time... they don't mind rain, etc. I just have mine inside coming up to lambing as they're wild and it's easier to keep an eye on them and the lambs. So having a proper area for them isnt really that important.

The 2 bucks and the 2 wethers should be able to share a pen... I guess maybe while in rut the bucks might bully the wethers ? But TBH I have never had bucks or wethers so I dont really know!

The pens that I have for my goats are 2 metres by 2 metres and I put 2 does in one and 1 doe in the other (because they fight!). And I have two spare ones as well... but they do need extra space to be able to run around as well. The way I have my barn set up doesnt give them room to run around so they have to be taken outside whenever it's not raining.

You probably want to factor a couple of smaller pens - maybe 1.5 x 1.5 metres for kidding pens.

LW

6. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oh yeah, I should also mention that I live in upstate NY, so it gets really cold in the winter.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Are you sure you want to keep a ram? I was at a farm that had goats and sheep, the buck was huge and gorgeous...the ram was "crazy"...they had him in a seperate pen...she said he was a "one ram wrecking crew" and destroyed every fence and gate they had kept him in. So, be sure you have "heavy duty" gates and fences around the ram. Well, yes, the buck too. :doh: