Help me figure out if these are moonspots...?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 4hmama, Feb 21, 2010.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Crescent had 2 doelings yesterday, and one has moonspots, but I'm trying to figure out if the other does. Whatta you guys think?

The one I'm sure of...
    [​IMG]

The one I'm not...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Moonspots will not show up on a white coat. So if the base is white... then it is just a spot... if the base is cream or peach or any color other than white... it is a moonspot.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They probably are, and she has a base color under them, so technically it's not on white although it looks like it is. But I would say it is a moon spot, especially since her sibling has a whole bunch. Very cute kids there!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she looks like a broken buckskin with extensive white - I wouldnt call her moonspotted

5. Jess is correct. The Definition of a moon spot is as follows.

"Definition:
    Moon spots are somewhat round spots of color varying from a light cream to a dark brown, but never white or true black. They may be superimposed over any other color or pattern (except white). The extent of the moon spotting and the final color of the spots is variable. They are random, as opposed to the strict symmetrical appearance of the Agouti patterns. Most of them are distinctly round - inspiring the name. Most moon spots are fairly dark in newborns, and then become distinctly paler later. This is so pronounced that they could be missed on some kids, even though they might be very obvious later. "

This link will show you tuns more on the moon spot genetics.
    http://www.goatspots.com/moonspots.htm

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    it's hard to tell from pictures since some peach, creams and silvers can look white in pictures... are any of her spots on top of a colored patch?

7. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Stacey - I can see buckskin-ish color down her spine, and on her leg, but I don't think she is base white...her neck and head and other parts of her body are light cream. I agree that she could be a broken buckskin with EXTENSIVE white, but the dot on her face is a different color than the others...so maybe?? I'll try to get more pics.

8. Well, you will also know more as she comes into color. The key is the color the post is on. It is it in the buckskin area you have moonspots. If it is in the white then no. Either way she carries the gene for moon spots so the chanses for spots in kids are really the same.