Help me out guys please

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Shelly, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Ok when do you pull kids from your milk does? or do you? Pro? Cons? Any help at all please. Does aren't do till the end of March. I've been told at birth/24 hours after birth and one week. Thank you Shelly

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do milk my does but I don't pull kids to bottle raise. I separate at night at 3 weeks and milk moms in the mornings..kids are with them all day til they leave then I milk 2 x a day.

3. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    Thats what i do too liz, it works great for me! If you can put the kids in a place where the does cant see them (or hear them if that's possible) it will make the speration less stressful. I have noticed that when my oberhasli cross gets stressed, her milk supply goes down.

4. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I've pulled kids and I've left kids but for the last two years most of my kids have been pulled. I truely believe you can have wonderful sweet friendly and easy work with dam raised kids- but compared to my bottle kids, they just do not adjust to new situations with the same grace, and I need that in my show does. This also allows me to sell kids much sooner so I get more of a profit as opposed to having to wait 3+ months for the kid to be weaned and then sell- that's also stressful on the kid becuase 3 month olds on mom are still nursing quite a bit. My does do get to bond with thier kids. I take the kids soon as they are cleaned (I think it helps the doe know that those are her babies), they move into a laundry basket in the kitchen for the first few days and visit thier mommy at least a few times a day. When I feel they are on bottles well enough I move them out with mom and the rest of the herd. Several of the kids don't really get why this big goat keeps following them around, but most of mine I find snuggled up with mom eventually. Most of my milk goes to feeding kiddos, but when I start to cut back on the kid's milk, that leaves more milk for ME much sooner if I'm keeping a does kids. I have a small soap business with two other firends, but I supply all of our milk. We use it all. And the more the better. It really all depends on your own situation and what you are comfortable with- for instance, when I had o e doe kid late last summer, I let her baby nurse becuase I hate getting up super early in the summer to feed kiddos and milk. LOL. And any other time of day is too miserable down here.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you want to pull for bottle raising, then 2-3 days is ideal so that they get all colostrum...I wouldn't pull any sooner. Otherwise, you can start to seperate kids at night and milk in the morning when they're about 2-3 weeks old. ;)

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    The does will be shown so we're worried about babies mess up or hurting the udder. I really just hate the idea of taking babies away from mom and hearing her cries. When we picked up the does last year they didn't seem worried about their babies. They had kidded the week before so maybe I'm over worrying? Thank for sharing what you do. Shelly

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't separate my kids, but if you want to do it for CAE prevention you need to do it before the mom gets to lick the kids. It seems really hard on everyone to me, but many dairy people do it. Then you have to heat treat the colostrum and pasteurize all their milk. I personally would rather CAE test every year.

Jan

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I rarely pull kids unless there is a good reason for it, no milk, rejecting kids, to many kids, etc. I personally don't think it's beneficial for the doe in any way and after all that work I feel like taking the kids away is just a slap in the face.

As long as the kid(s) nurse on both sides of the udder then there shouldn't be any damage done. ;)

9. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    when my parents had a milk herd we kept mom with kids in a stall for the first 4 days for colostrum. day 5 mom went in with the other milkers and kids get bottle fed. we had all "standard" (?) size dairy breeds. we milked twice a day.
    i think people might pull kids from mom at birth if they were worried about udder damage from the kids. and alot of people who train to pack say taking kids from mom at birth to get the kid to bond to you. easier training...
    with my does i am going to do it the same way my parents used to.