Help me out with a question please :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Jan 1, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I've been having trouble selling my goats, both angoras and boers.

I have priced the boer bucks at $400 each, they are registered and fullblood and out of some great lines.

I have dropped the price on the angoras, purebred and registered, to $850 for the group of 12 does and 4 wethers.

What would you do? Would you just drop the price really low to get them sold? I really need them gone because I cant feed them all, but I dont want to send them to the abs (they wont take them anyway, not big enough most of them).

I really think those prices are low already

What to do :(

2. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    What are the abs?

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think the abs are like our stockyardds?

maybe you should offer smaller groups on the angoras.. like3 does and a wether for ___

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Yes what SDK said.
    Maybe you could make offers on different size groups.
    That way, people might be more interested in buying just 4 for example, instead of 16.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    abs are the abbatoirs.

We dont have saleyards for goats around here, which makes things difficult.

In my ads I also offer them individually, and say that discounts will be applied for multiple purchases.

6. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I don't mean it to sound harsh but if you are having trouble feeding them , times are tough and I dread that trip to the feed store you might have to drop the price . Something is better than nothing .

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yeah, I think I will have to just drop the price, basically give them away, take the beating financially but get them gone

8. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    That's seems very low to me. If you go any lower you will almost be giving them away. :shrug: I can't beleive they are not selling at those prices. Is the market that bad over there right now?

9. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I know it stinks . We all put so much of ourselfs into our animals. I know it hurts financially but I sometimes it hurts even more emotionally because we have such a attachment . When others don't see the vaule

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You know, I have put SO much work into these does, developing bloodlines and growing them out, handling them regularly so they are easy to work with, and the past six months handfeeding because the drought is really bad in our area.

Its going to hurt financially because I was hoping to sell these goats at the prices I mentioned, and cover the cost of a few dairy does plus pay some bills.

But I've already been feeding them longer than I can afford ...

And I would rather hurt financially and have them go to someone who will breed with them, then send them to the abbatoir

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    On the price on FB boers registered ...we will not let our guard down ...$300 minimum for registered FB boer..not even for $1.00 less.....if they want to pay less ...we'll let them....but they do not get the registration papers......There was a time we sold some registered does for $250 each, but they did not go with the registration papers,but they did sell...that way....

I agree on if you sell alot of goats in a bundle price,,,most people may not want that many at one time.,sell fewer at a time...or maybe one at a time....Put a ad on craigslist... :)

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have been advertising on the Oz version of craigslist

just had a message left on my phone enquiring about 7 of the angoras, so that is a start

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ooo praying it is that big break you are looking for

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    left a message on their phone, they werent home anymore

we will see how we go

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good luck and praying for you.... :pray:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
  17. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The prices seem super low already, i'm surprised they aren't selling. That's to bad. I have seen where people free lease their herd for a year or two...don't know if you'd want to do that, but it's an idea. The person keeps your herd and keeps any kids they produce and after the lease time you get all the adults back. That can get a little difficult, but if you're out of options, you could see if someone wanted to do that?? :shrug: Is sure hope that person buys the angoras though! :hug:

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well I sold him 2 x 8 yr old does, 3 x 3 yr old does and 2 x 2 yr old does for $300. Dirt cheap, they are worth $400 for the package. I was gonna quote him 300 but I figured he would probably try to knock 50 off the price, so I quoted 350 sure enough he asked if I would take 300 and as I said its too cheap but I just need them gone, so he is picking them up tomorrow about lunchtime. Seven less mouths to feed is gonna make a HUGE difference. Who knows, when he sees the others I might convince him to take some more lol

I REALLY like the idea of the free lease thing, particularly with the younger ones because there are some priceless genetics in there that I really didnt want to lose. I might just advertise the rest of them on free lease and see what comes up.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I'm glad ....you have a buyer.. :) ..I am sorry ....you had to give them away though ,but sometimes we are forced to do so....and wow ..you were right about the $50 thing... :shades:

20. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No problem...hope it all works out great!! :thumb: