Help me puzzle out copper bolusing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Okay, I've been digging around using the search function (my favorite!)

There seem to be a few ways to supplement copper.

Boluses - which I can't seem to puzzle out the correct amount, and apparently would need to buy a huge bucket of and make smaller pills out of. Which I would probably mess up.

Drenching - came across a thread with a link to this: http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/coppersulfate.html which frankly looks terrifying! Wouldn't it be easy to overdose this stuff? How would you know you got the correct thing?

Have also come across conflicting dosages per weight.

I'm just starting to see some reddening to Sugar's coat, so I think its time to catch that before it gets any further. The buggers haven't been eating their mineral like they should.

Can anyone...er...use a bit of "stupid people" talk :greengrin: and help me figure out what the best course of action here is?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.....I too was sooooo very confused by it all......after Liz's horrible results with the copper sulfate, I decided to not use it........the boluses are not that hard, I ordered the calf 12.5 gram boluses from Jeffers and I bought my capsules off ebay,but I have been told you can get them at any herb store or like GNC......I don't have those choices (I live in the boonies)....anyway, the capsules were very cheap....then I also bought a digital gram scale for like $5.00 including shipping off ebay also........the dosage I was told is 1 gram per 22 lbs......it was not hard to break the boluses down into smaller capsules.......the dog pill gun was very cheap at a pet store, $3.00.

Also, the capsules I ordered where size 000, which full I think will hold a full 3 grams........so on bigger goats you might have to give a couple or three.

Hope this helps, Denise

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ah, 1 gram per 22 lbs of goat seems to be the accurate dosage.

Now just to get all the stuff...hmmm maybe I can bribe someone on here to make them for me :greengrin: :wink:

Off to Jeffers to look at the products :)

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I just emptied jout some of my vitamin pills -- I didn't need many capsules and did want to buy a hundred!

What happened with Liz and the copper sulfate?

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    She lost a doe from using it :( .

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I remember that, it was so heartbreaking :tears:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, it was very heartbreaking for Liz.......she was trying to do the right thing for her goaties.....that same week I was getting ready to order some sulfate also.......I guess the sulfate releases into the system faster, where as the boluses are a slow release.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Correct, the sulfate gives it all at once and the copper rods in the bolus stay in the rumen and slowly release copper.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I get a couple of the cattle boluses from a friend of mine that has a dairy. I empty them into a plastic baggy. And i dose using the "pinch" method. I just sprinkle a little over their grain. Usually i try and stick a little bit of beet pulp on top of the grain and then put the copper over th top of that because it sticks to it. I have never had to give more then two or three pinches per goat.
    beth

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    1 gram per 22lbs is what I've always followed...I'm a sucker for bribe's :greengrin: JK, if you need some copper just PM or email me :hug:

11. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    A goater acquaintance just lost a doe to copper sulfate, so you really have to watch that.
    Beth, don't the copper rods need to be swallowed whole to be effective? It seems like your method would have at least some chewing involved.

12. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    The rods are really tiny, I have top dressed them onto grain also. I don't see how they would get chewed up. Especially by my does, who inhale their grain. :greengrin:

For now, though, I just put a pinch of copper sulfate in each batch of loose minerals I put out - maybe 1/8 tsp per two cups of minerals.

13. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    According to the research I've read, the point of the capsule is to place the rods in the rumen where the gelatin then dissolves and the copper is most effective. Without the capsule the rods would go right into the first stomach and not do the job.

14. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    Do you have a link to where you have read that?

http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

This one says gelatin dissolves in the rumen (first stomach), which is what I'd expect. I can't figure out how/why a gelatin capsule would stay together until it reached the second stomach?

15. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Well if it means anything- when I bolus I usually get 1 out of 5 boluses actually down the throat without them somehow chewing it up :roll: - and it always makes a difference even with them chewing the capsule- if they have any signs of deficiency its gone within about 2-3 weeks.

16. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Oops- my bad. What I meant was the rods need to settle in the abomasum, not the rumen.

17. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Please check out this site regarding copper bolusing. It is great and Sharon (the breeder) worked with a vet and did a study with her herd on it! GREAT INFORMATIVE SITE! :- ) Even has X-rays of the copper inside the goats! http://www.goatspots.com/copper.html

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing that website. I love the idea of using a marshmellow. I would think it would be easier to get that down a goat than a pill. :)

Of course you can always make rice krispee treats with the remainder of the bag when you are done. :wink:

19. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yum.. rice krispies... LOL

I love her site... I always go there for questions I have about herd health and management. If I can't find info there THEN I search online. :- )

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks for the site! :greengrin: