The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a yearling doe who is due February 26. I don't know if I'm reading way into this or if I'm a paranoid first kidding season goat owner but I just noticed tonight she is kind of slow getting up and moving around. What had me worried was one of the other does tried to push past her, caught her off guard, and she fell down from standing. I noticed her pasterns in the front were a little lower than normal, I'm not sure if that's causing some mobility issues. I gave her BoSe tonight and I nutridrenched her as well.

She's otherwise eating her hay, drinking, peeing, and she's making berries, her Famacha is a dark pink. I also did a ketone test strip and it came back normal. She has free choice manna pro goat minerals and kelp.

I tried to upload the video to the site but I couldn't so I uploaded to YouTube to show you all what I mean. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is she getting alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets?
If she isn't getting calcium in her diet, it may be the beginning of preg toxemia, walking on eggs shells kinda walk.
She gets alfalfa/orchard grass/Timothy mix third cut hay, plus alfalfa pellets once a day. I started giving her some tums as well just in case 2 extra strength (1000mg) chewable. I'll ketone test her again tonight.
I sat and watched her for about 2 hours today, she's still making berries like normal, I saw her chewing cud multiple times. She got up quickly when she saw I had alfalfa pellets to give her and she ate everything. She just seems to be moving slowly and deliberately. Also, I noticed she was grunting when breathing when she was laying down. She doesn't seem to be breathing rapidly and she doesn't have fruity breath from what I can tell. She's due Feb 26 and she seems pretty big.

·
Super Moderator
58,229 Posts
Kids take up a lot of room. They push on organs. They push on nerves. Keeping an eye on them is always good but you don't want to treat for something they don't have. Probiotics are always fine to give. Vitamin C chewables and raw garlic are fine to give. Those are things you can give to make you feel better and they are good for her.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you toth boer goats and ksalvagno for your insight and encouragement! We are all keeping a very close eye on her. Id hate for her to suffer due to my inexperience, that's why it's so great to have people willing to help troubleshoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts