The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I everyone!!
I am learning about goat conformation now. Briskest, toplines, attachments. Could you give me a rundown of how you guys judge conformation? Could you attach a pic of your goats and how you judge their conformation and their pros and cons. I would like to compare them to my goats. So I would just need to know how you guys do it. Thanks. I need to know this stuff because we are starting showing next year. Thanks!!!

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nigerian Dwarfs and Mini Nubains to be exact. So yes, dairy

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
Oooooohh(insert evil laugh here) :devilish:
Okaay :D So.. where to start....
You want good blending throughout(neck into withers and brisket, chest floor into heart girth, etc)
Uphill stance, withers higher than the hind end
You want good depth of body :) and a nice long body. Also good width(hips, pins, etc)
Rump should be long and flat
Want them to have a dairy look, long lean dairy neck
Front legs should be straight, not bowed. Hind legs should not be posty nor sickle, but more in between
Pasterns should be strong(short and upright)
Also want a good spring of rib, flat ribs and stuff..

I'll come back tomorrow and finish up, I'll have some pictures and links and even more :)

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooooohh(insert evil laugh here) :devilish: Okaay :D So.. where to start.... You want good blending throughout(neck into withers and brisket, chest floor into heart girth, etc) Uphill stance, withers higher than the hind end You want good depth of body :) and a nice long body. Also good width(hips, pins, etc) Rump should be long and flat Want them to have a dairy look, long lean dairy neck Front legs should be straight, not bowed. Hind legs should not be posty nor sickle, but more in between Pasterns should be strong(short and upright) Also want a good spring of rib, flat ribs and stuff.. I'll come back tomorrow and finish up, I'll have some pictures and links and even more :)
Sounds good Emma. Please attach images

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I'll give you a rundown when i'm done eating :)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
:lol: Sorry, my mom made me get off my laptop.

Ok.... So judging for bucks and does are pretty much the same. The basics that you want are:
Good blending throughout (good flow, general appearance)
Level topline (back)
Level rump
Sharp, tight withers (shoulder blades)
Strong Pasterns (upright and short-ish)
Lots of rear leg angulation
Long neck
Good brisket extention
Body capacity and depth and length

Udder:
large capacity
high front and rear attatchments
smooth blending in the fore udder
good medial
teats are long and large for easy milking
1/3 in front of leg, 1/3 hidden by leg, and 1/3 behind leg
teats are placed correctly.

Take a look at www.oldmountainfarm.com They have Nigerians, I really like their goats. I am getting permission from the owner to post some pictures of their goats for better examples. In the meantime, here are some diagrams. I'll get some more in a min.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,603 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Still trying to find this one really good diagram, but post some pictures of your goats (or PM me) and I can judge them for you.

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
Oye, sorry to leave you hanging. :oops:
Sydney pretty much covered it :thumbup:
I would really study the scorecard, it's what a judge looks at. If you have any questions on that, then ask and I can explain :D
Let's see what diagrams and pictures I can dig up :)
If you want another opinion on your does, feel free to PM me :)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Yeah, score card is important. Not all judges go by it.... But they're SUPPOSED to. Also, study the parts of the goats, know everything about your goat, and know conformation well for showmanship. During showmanship, they judge your knowlegde and handling skills.

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
This doe isn't/wasn't mine (hope that you don't mind me using Wailea as an example Lacie)
I love this doe, awesome udder, lots and lots and lots of depth, very dairy, nice strong topline, I really have trouble finding any faults. If I could have a whole herd of does just like her, I'd be in heaven. This is a great example of a dairy doe.

Attachments

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do out mean when you say lots of depth, or angularty.

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
Well, depth, look at the barrel of the goat. See the difference between the one I posted earlier and this one? Guess I'm not too good at explaining it, hope you can understand. I'll let Sydney answer the angularity, since she was the one to bring it up ;)

Attachments

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, depth, look at the barrel of the goat. See the difference between the one I posted earlier and this one? Guess I'm not too good at explaining it, hope you can understand. I'll let Sydney answer the angularity, since she was the one to bring it up ;)
Barrel is around the brisket right? Sorry in wearing you down wih this but I would like to judge my goats. Sydney, could ou help me with the angularity?

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
Barrel is around the brisket right? Sorry in wearing you down wih this but I would like to judge my goats. Sydney, could ou help me with the angularity?
:cool: Okay, pretty sure Sydney posted this chart thing already, but anyways, brisket is in front of the front end, the neck goes into it, so the barrel isn't around there, it's the stomach area further back :)
Don't try learning everything at once, it takes a while to get it :)

Oh, and I'd like to say that pretty much everything I know about conformation, I learned from Lacie. :) So if there's something I can't answer, go bug her. ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts