Help - Missing Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Dec 12, 2008.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Only have been into goats for a couple of months. I had two billies together, in a pen about 8' by 16' attached to a medium sized shed they could get into. They are both pygmy's. One is quite small, and the other is 2 years old. I came home today from work to find the small one by himself. I cannot figure out how the larger one got out. My fence is cattle panel that is 50" tall with 6" X 6" squares. From everything I have read, this should have been more than enough to keep them in. The billy has been here about a week now.
    I have no neighbors close by that would have let him out, and besides the small one is still in the pen. I have quite a few trees around and several outbuildings he could get in for the night to get out of the cold and wind. We are supposed to get a huge blizzard starting tomorrow late afternoon. I have found footprints in the snow so I know he was walking around this afternoon in the snow and mud.
    What does everyone think? Is the fence tall enough? Will he be ok tonight by himself out in the trees if that is in fact where he is? Any suggestions on how to get him back near the shed and house area tomorrow?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try going out with some grain in a can, shake it around, he may just come running to you.....I hope you get him secure before that storm comes along. The little guy will be upset that his buddy is missing on him and make sure he can stay warm without his sleep mate.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My billy went missing the day I got him and he is big (like 200-250 lbs. big). We went around with feed and drove around. He was 3 miles away at n older ladies home. She took great care of him fed him and sheltered him. I agree with Liz that the little one should be given TLC and I hope you find him before the storm. Good luck-Sara
  4. turtlebutte goats

Nov 22, 2008
    what do you think about the fence height? Is it sufficient?
  5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I would think the height is OK, is there something near the fence he can jump up on to then jump over the fence? Can he get to the roof of the shelter to jump over? It's surprising how high they can jump if they are "motivated". Hope you find him soon! Good luck!
  6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree, take a bucket of grain out and shake it. I say if you can get people to go in different areas. Have you had any moisture where you can see prints? Don't give up. Keep looking. But be prepared that you might find him dead somewhere.
  7. turtlebutte goats

Nov 22, 2008
    My boy is back! He was walking around like he owned the place this morning. Getting ready for a big storm to hit later today, and he is following me everywhere. I put him back in the cage and then watched him hurdle a 5' fence like it wasnt even there. The little guy is a small pygmy and I was really suprised to see that. What do others use for fencing? I would have thought a 50" fence would have been sufficient for a pygmy buck. Do ya think he will be smart and stay in later today, knowing a storm is coming in?

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm glad he is back. My pygmies always got out of our old fence. Our fence now is Made up of wood post and medal post with 48 in. wire and electric on top,over the breces in the corners and in the middle to keep the goats seperate. I'll draw a diagram and post it later.
  9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am so glad to hear he came home before the big storm! :)
    Some goats are just jumpers and little escape artists... while others are content to staying in the comfort of their pen area. it sounds to me like you have a "jumper". :roll:
  10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We called pygmies "Houdini's" for a reason.LOL!
  11. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I am so glad that your little escape artist came home!!! When we got our first goat we had a four foot fence that she sailed right over my husband had to add two more feet to it to get it high enough for her to not escape. She is way too fat to get over any kind of fence now so maybe you could plump him up to help keep him in the pen.
  12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    he is in rutt more then likely. Some goats are just prone to getting out of everything while others will stay in.

I have a goat who can easily get out of our 3 1/2 foot fencing but she chooses to stay in thankfully! but the others havent even tried. Then I had a doe who nothing could keep her in!

YOu may have to invest in some hotwire and teach him that the fence is something to stay away from. (you "teach" them by letting them get zapped by the hotwire)
  13. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    Glad to hear he came back, that is great news! Maybe a strand of electric wire around the top of the pen would keep him in?