HELP... My buck is very very sick. I have no clue what it is

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by myfavgoats, Dec 7, 2007.

1. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    My buck is over a year old.. He went to MIL's house three days ago for stud service thing. And Last nite we found out that he was foamy and very drooly out of his mouth. He lost soooo much weight. He is wobbly and shivery. And his tongue is hanging down. I gave him some of grain one time becuz I was trying to figure out what is worng with him. He threw all the food out of it. I mean all of it . I couldnt believe it.. And I cant figure out what it is... So I gave him baking soda. I did gave him activated charcoal. I also gave him Vit B complex shots.. I went to the vet. He thinks it is from alfalfa hay or acorn poison or oak leaves. He dont know. He said there is nothing we can do. Becuz I did everything right way.. I just hung the heat lamp up to keep him warm... Oh I gave him warm molasses. But he wont drink it. BUT I did DRENCH and he still can swollow it.. I mean when I drench and the water comes right out.. I am lost.. Please help me with this.. Thanks..

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know there is something called Frothy Boat. You may want to google that. I would keep up with the ativated charcoal, I would also give him some Di-Methox (sp?) if you have it. Also some probios or yoghurt. I hope someone more experienced then I can chime in here soon. I will pray that he makes it.

3. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I already gave him therabloat thing.. Whatever it is called. I got that from the vet. It wont work becuz my buck CANT swollow while I drench it ...

4. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    THIAMIN! I may be wrong here, but thiamine or a BUNCH of Vit B will be good right now, my doe that died was very wobbly and drooly. There is no such thing as acorn poisoning, just too much acid in the acorns to upset the stomach, which can cause a blost. You need to tube him and get that bloat remady in since he cannot swallow, you must tube him. I am not too sure as to why his tounge is not working, that sounds to me like a snake bite or something. How is his temp and what color is his gums and eyelids, check them both. Is he bloated??? I dident ask that.

5. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Hello. He wasnt bloating at all.. The vet came over not too long ago. I am freaking out right now. Just please pray that we didnt get it... The vet really think my buck have rabies... So we had to put him down. I have to becuz of my children. My children comes first. Sorry. It was hard to decide... And we will find out if it is rabies. It have to be listerosis. It better be instead of rabies. I dont want rabies. It just soo upsetting.. It just so sad.. I am more worry about us and the other does... (sigh)...

6. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Oh you poor thing!! I am hoping it is listerosis as well as rabies is a nasty nasty thing. Oh how sad I am soo terribly sorry!!!! Please let us know what happens an I am sorry you had to put him down!! Prayers coming your way!

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i am so sorry that you lost him but i understand your concerns. please let us know what it was.

8. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Sometimes you have to make a fast decision. I hope it isn't rabies, but hats off to you for finding out the root cause. That's important. Please keep us updated.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I hope with you that it is not rabies- the vet is testing right? When will you know? That goodness that the shots for prevention are not as bad as they used to be.
    Rabies is very rare so hopefully it was something much more common. Rabies is scary.

10. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thank you all...

Yes The vet already dropped the samples off to the hospital last nite. He wanted it get it FAST. We will find out by tomorrow or Monday. He said he thinks it is 24 hours thing. But we are just sitting and waiting.. I sure hope it is not rabies. If it is not. Oh i will be soo happy then know what do to next time. It is just my first time see that kind of problem. It is just soo scary... Thank u guys so much...

11. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I GOT THE RESULT...

I got the result from Missouri State about rabies..Well it is a good news that he dont have rabies. Thank u for the prayers.. I am glad that it is off my shoulder and worry about it... The vet now know that it is listerosis. So I believe that it is. But I would like to know how much dosage do u give the goats whenever they have it ?? Becuz it is my first time to face that... I appericate for your help.. Thanks.

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    This is what I have from 2 reputable goat women:

1st lady:
    Fever means listeriosis, no fever is polio.
    1 time oral dose 10cc penicillin
    10cc SQ pen
    500mg IM thiamin, 500SQ
    Just 1 dose of pen if polio, then follow with Calf Pac on day 2.
    100cc Revive orally with equal parts of water (listed this in the medical stickies)
    If the goat can't swallow, drench it or tube it. Calf Pac restarts gut (can use other things) and starts recovery process.
    Thiamin must be given every day until recovery is complete. It's a neurological vitamin. The nervous system doesn't function without it.
    Can be given orally once the gut is restarted.

2nd lady:
    1st dose of pen 1cc per 10lb. SQ, then 1cc per 20 lb. every 6 hours for 24-48 hours, then 2x/day for 5 - 7 days.
    Start Thiamin 500 mg every 6 hours SQ on same schedule as Pen.
    Probiotics every day through treatment.
    Keep goat hydrated with resorb or some electrolytes and water. May have to drench or tube. A gallon a day.
    Watch the temp.
    Make sure to put them on their sternum, not flat out on side.

Dexamethasone can be used for brain swelling.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry that you lost this guy.

14. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    So sorry you lost your buck! :cry:

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm very sorry you lost your buck.

I'd like to say that with rabies in goats, it is very rare, and with rabies from what I've read, its very accute, meaning it strikes fast and they are gone fast. Polio on the other hand(which at this time of year and the stress the bucks have on them now) is very common. And with polio there can be foaming of the mouth.

With bucks at this age(I have one) they get so hyped up and stressed out about breeding that they will lose condition, it is extremely important to keep young bucks well fed so that they can maintain body condition. It is also important to keep studding to outside herds and even in your own herd to a minimum so that he doesn't get so stressed out.

Again, I'm really sorry you lost him :(