Help! My goat has listeriosis!

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by CluelessGoat, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    As per the username, I am absolutely clueless at the moment and need help. Long story short, I am long term petsitting and I have 4 goats under my care. Last week on Wednesday I noticed Shirley (I believe she is a Nigerian but slightly bigger. She was a rescue.) I believe she is around 7-9 years old. She was was acting weird. Her head was close to the ground but she wasn’t eating. And she was next to the fence a lot. The next day, she was laying in the corner behind the shed. She wouldn’t get up. Took her to the vet, they said she had polio. She stayed there Thursday evening to Saturday morning. When I picked her up, they had videos of her walking around for them, but doing wide circles. Okay, cool. She came home Saturday and she started Thiamine 2x a day for 10 days. She could not stand by that night. They had given her thiamine in the vein. I was doing it by the muscle so, okay, a little regression is okay. Sunday morning I panicked. Called the vet, she doesn’t know enough to tell over the phone so I called Auburn. Talked to their ruminant animal vet, he said the only thing I could do is start treatment for Listeriosis and continue the Thiamine. Otherwise, take her to Auburn. She’s a pet rescue goat. We are starting to talk about major money on a goat that may or may not make it and I, by no means, have any clue how to manage this. Talked to the owner, treat for Listeriosis and go from there. Okay, got Nuflor 300mg, 2mL a day for 10 days. I have 4 days after today. This is my question, when do you decide when to put her down? I’ve read everything I can find about Listeriosis but nothing on the recovery/care until I found this forum....today.

Shirley hasn’t stood on her own for a week. She still can’t drink water for herself unless I hold her head where it needs to be. She has lost control of her eye movement in both eyes. For awhile her neck was so rigid, I had to prop her head up with blankets or anything I could find that would work. Changed her from side to side every 2 hours. At first she didn’t drink much at all but has been drinking more and more every day, her neck is progressively getting more relaxed and she is able to hold her head up for short periods with a slight assist. She has started moving more, moving to scratch her head with her leg, stretching from time to time. She has started to open her mouth like she is yawning at odd times. Today she seems like she is starting to regain control of her eye movement, not by much but it’s there. I don’t know what to do at this point, I have to be able to tell the owner when it’s time or not. I’m not equipped or have the knowledge to do intensive care such as IV, feeding tubes, etc. What can I do? Is she just miserable? When do you call it? Am I missing something vital?

Help me please!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Usually penicillin and thiamine are used every 6 hours around the clock until a few days past no symptoms. With you being the pet sitter, I think it would be best to discuss with the owner what you both feel is enough.

Sfgwife likes this.

3. CluelessGoat

CluelessGoat New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Georgia, United States
    I am willing to do everything within my power. My main concern is that I’m not familiar with this at all so I have no idea what to look for to spot improvement or if she is getting worse.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    The OP has another post going on this in health and wellness.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ok. Closing this thread. Stick with the original thread you started. You were given very good advice there.

GoofyGoat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.