The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to raising goats so I'm lost and worried. He is about 9 months old and weve only had him for about a month. A few days ago we noticed he was swaying a little when he walked. I work day shift hours so I was unable to get him to the vet. I did however call the closet vet who can treat farm animals. They said it sounded like it could be a few different things, such as Mv Worms? Or listeriosis or polio. They gave me meds to administer and this is the third and last day of treatment. He isnt really showing any improvement. He Will drink electrolyte mixuture but we have to feed it to him through a dropper. He was standing up when being held but now seems like he doesnt want to or can't. How do I know if this is normal or if the meds are working. Vet is closed for the weekend and we are super worried.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh boy, okay, there are going to be a lot of questions to help you.

What is his rectal temperature?
What is his FAMACHA score? (Instructions here, 2nd video down: https://web.uri.edu/sheepngoat/video/)

What and how much and how frequently are the meds you have given so far? Be as specific as possible.

When he was still walking, did he seem weak or drunk or dizzy? Were the back legs different than the front legs? Did you notice any drooling? Or eyes jumping/jittery?

Is he peeing and pooping normally?

If he isn't eating or drinking anything then you really need to get some nutrition and fluids in him. Do you know anybody who would know how to tube into the stomach? A dropper won't cut it, he needs at least a half gallon for a full size animals or dehydration will worsen whatever the issue is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts