The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family member witnessed a baby goat foaming at the mouth, shaking his head, and grinding his teeth when the goats got fed grain. Is this CAE? This has never happened to me, can anyone help?:anyone:

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This baby has not been neutered, dehorned, or given any vaccinations. No new feed has been introduced and he was 100% yesterday, I don't know about this morning/afternoon.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Refreshing post so people will see it, I need some help!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
There is a frothy bloat. Over eating grain could be involved. Does he look bloated? If so massage his sides, walk him around. Baking soda can help. Some people use a little dish soap tp break up the bubbles.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went and checked on my goats. The foaming kid is clean and not foaming, but my doeling is having thin green diarrhea. It is all over her butt. Somebody help!Please

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to get some baking soda out there as soon as I can, his belly felt a little big.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Get temps on them. How old are they? Anyone who helps will want that info.

Foaming can be related to toxic plants. Diarrhea could possibly be as well. Could they have gotten into something? Have they been tested for coccidia?

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The buckling (foamer) is a month and a half, and the doeling (diarrhea) is about a month. I would think plants too, except their pen has no plants or forage, except for hay, which is mold-free and fresh.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the doeling's diarrhea. We have delt with coccidiosis before but the diarrhea then was absolutely nothing like this. This is hardly thicker than water.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
For the buck kid with the large stomach, feel the right side, press around a little, does it feel airy, like a balloon or no?
If it feels like a balloon, give some baking soda and elevate his front end, and massage his right side to get him burping, that will get the air out of his stomach.

If it does not feel airy, will he drink or eat anything? Is he in distress? If he isn't stressed out it could be choke, and you'll need to run a tube down his throat to get the blockage down.

If he is in distress, the foam would make me think frothy bloat rather than choke. In that case, you will need to drench him with oil and keep him moving and massage the right side as well.

If you have any milk of magnesia, I would give that as well, to bind any toxins in his stomach. 15cc per 60lbs.

For the doeling with the diarrhea, it is most likely from coccidia, so I would treat her again for that and give some kaopectate to stop it up. If left with diarrhea for too long it will dehydrate her.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got back from a visit. Nobody wanted baking soda and I gave a thorough inspection of the buckling. His belly seemed normal. His front feet were normal. I gave him massages anyways but he didn't burp or fart. I checked his gums and eyelids and everything seemed okay. He took some grain, inspected the baking soda but didn't lick at it. My witness to his foaming said it was like he was choking and since he seems fine I think it might have been that. When he began choking he was picked up by his back legs and swung (my family watches too much Dr. Pol DVM) and after he was swung it wasn't as bad and then when the baby recuperated he began eating again. I'm going to keep close watch on him but I think it was choking. I am now concerned greatly about my doeling. I gave her some Pepto Bismal and a squirt of NutriDrench. She is not completely dead or anything but seems more hesitant to jump and move than usually. Her green diarrhea concerns me. I gave her tummy a good rub, but it didn't seem bloated at all. A year ago a nanny of mine had bloat and it was quickly taken care of through massages. However, these babies don't seem bloated at all. The buckling who foamed seems A-Okay now and the doeling has green diarrhea smeared on her hindside and is a little weaker than usual.. Tomorrow I will prepare some Probiotics and electrolytes for her. I can't get any temps, I can't find my thermometer. All the goats didn't want the baking soda, except for a nanny, but she's fine and probably just curiously hungry.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for y'alls' advice, I will see about her in the morning and go from there. I keep finding possums when I go check on her! eek! my rifle is :locked: and loaded! I locked my goats up tight, except for my buck, if he stumbles across one no harm done. Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
sounds like the buck problem has been fixed..do give him some probiotics to hep his tummy

for your doe..that runny and weak...she needs attention now..wait til morning maybe too late..

Im assuming she is still on milk at a month old...stop all milk for 24 hours to start..replace with electrolytes even if you have to drench her... dehydration is her biggest danger....

green is usually dietary...could be she got too much grain? mix about 1 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench...give pepto to help sooth and dry her up...5-10 cc... probiotics and B complex would be very helpful...CD antitoxin is needed to protect her while she works through this ...offer her leaves, vines, pine cedar..any natural browse food ..NO GRAIN at all...lets get her dry! and her rumen working..

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is not on full grain yet, only about 3/4 of her diet milk and the other quarter bits of hays and nibbles of grain. She didn't take quickly to grain at all, I think because her dam's so good at nursing her. I gave her 10cc's of Pepto and she definitely swallowed it well. She took a couple sips of water but refuses a bottle. She got a little electrolytes and one squirt of Nutri Drench. She isn't taking a bottle at all, the water was in a bowl and the Pepto, Drench, and Electrolytes came from syringes. She won't get any milk tonight :thumb: She seems sleepy, but it is night so she might be genuinely tired. She is following her herd mates and waiting for them to settle down with her so she's still kicking.

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
fingers crossed

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My final report of the night: I see some hope! The baby let out a *small* gloop of green diarrhea and then let out a thicker diarrhea glob which was small, but thicker than her green oozies. She peed a small stream and there was no off coloring. In the morning she'll get another dose of electrolytes, Probiotics and Nutri Drench. I'll keep at offering forage. I am glad she is getting thicker diarrhea; maybe she will slowly harden her droppings. Thanks for the help! She is laying down now and giving me nasty looks for the Pepto-Bismol! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts