Help! My goat will not stop SCREAMING!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bdr0514, Nov 11, 2014.

1. bdr0514

bdr0514 New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Hello everyone. I woke up this morning and went out to see the animals earlier than usual. They were loud this morning but not abnormal around feeding time. Since 5 am Penelope, my doe has not stopped SCREAMING! She is eating, pooping and peeing. She is running around and playing with the boys (wethers). I can't find any injury but for some reason she will not let me to close to her. She is usually quite demanding for attention. However, she will just not STOP! What could be causing her to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bethany

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. bdr0514

bdr0514 New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    She is a year and 3 months old. If she is this will be the first time. If this is the case....oh my goodness when does the screaming end?

4. christinajh

christinajh Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Utah
    Probably in heat

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

5. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    It usually lasts a couple days. LOL

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just a couple days.

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol yep sounds like heat. One of mine not to long ago did the same thing one night and I thought she was dying. Hope she calms down for you soon

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like heat as long as everything else it well.....it will end when she cycles out and return in about 21 days :)..unless you breed her....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  9. J-TRanch

J-TRanch J-T.Ranch.Dairy.Goats

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    Heat lol! You get used to it after awhile!

Owner/operator
    J-T Ranch Dairy Goats
    NW KS

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I had 6 screamers in heat today! I was sure a coyote had gotten in the barn.
    Nope, just 6 flagging tails on 8 month old does! (Glad I live in the woods!)

11. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California

Oh I would go crazy!!! I've never had a screamer till this last one. I'm tempted to breed her just so I don't have to listen to that again lol

12. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Congratulations! You have a doe in heat. :laugh: If she starts acting off you can take a temp but I'm really thinking it's heat. My does will WAIL mournfully.

13. Rhandi74

Rhandi74 Member

Dec 5, 2013
    East TN
    It sounds like she is in heat. One of my doe's is screaming and pacing the fence line since last night. I was very worried last night and went out to make sure all was ok. This morning I saw the tail flagging and my wethers being much friskier with her and realized she was in heat. My other does are not very loud while they are in heat so she threw me off with the screaming. At least you will know when it is time if you want her bred.

14. ProvidenceHill

ProvidenceHill New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Virginia
    My 8-month-old woke us up at 2 a.m. this fall. But like Rhandi74 says, at least you will always know when she's ready to breed! Far worse to have does who keep it to themselves and drive you crazy trying to guess when to take them to the buck.