Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by babe817, Jun 6, 2008.

  1. babe817

    babe817 New Member

    Apr 4, 2008
    my boer kid is 6 weeks now.. and tonight he has started vomiting... and grinding his teeth... any ideas on helping the poor thing out.?? i would take him to the vet but as i have said the vet in our little town isnt into goats. to her its "only a goat".. i have been told to give him a tea mix..
    thank you all once again to.
  2. whatknott

    whatknott New Member

    Feb 22, 2008
    if he is vomiting, he ate something poisonous- lots of pepto bismal immediately and may have to rush to vet - hope you didn't wait too long -

  3. nhsmallfarmer

    nhsmallfarmer New Member

    Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I agree He got into something poisonous did he get into any of these,

    1. Rhododendrons/Azaleas: All plant parts contain toxins that can cause vomiting, colic, paralysis and coma.

    2. Mountain Laurel: Signs of poisoning include salivation, colic, vomiting and weakness.

    3. Water Hemlock: Symptoms of poisoning include teeth grinding, increased salivation and seizures.

    4. Poison Hemlock: A lethal dose can bring on respiratory failure in a few hours.

    5. Death Camas: Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, weakness and staggering.

    6. Choke Cherry: The toxic seeds, bark and leaves—especially when wilted—can cause breathing difficulty, confusion, convulsions and sudden death.

    when I posted about my goat with about the same symptoms someone said try charcoal, below is one of the comments I got about Fern
    hope this helps

    SPARKS879 said" im thinking she may have gotten into something poisenous, do you have any mineral oil and activated charcoal. The stuff you get at the pet sore. If you cant get it in powder get it in rocks and grind it up with a coffee grinder. mix with mineral oil as you can get down her.
    hope this helps"
  4. Julie

    Julie New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I agree - you have a poisoned goat ! Active Charcoal .. you can get it from to have on hand for if this happens again. You can probably get it from TSC (Tractor Supply Company) if you have one near you - since you need it NOW ! I think Jeffers is cheaper. But you don't have time to wait for shipping for this goat.
    You need a "drench gun" to administer the active charcoal. So make sure you have that to.

    You can use charcoal like you'd use in a grill ... but you MUST make sure it doesn't have any type of "fire starter" in it !

    Here's my Care and Management page where you can find a little info about poisenous plants ...

    ANd here's a good website that lists poisenous plants to goats ... ... search.cfm
    You can use this guide to look up plants that you have in your area and see if they're poisenous. It's not only for goats - but for all species ... or atleast livestock and pets.
  5. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It sounds like we all so far agree here. he got into something and he is poisoned. I agree with the charcoal. If you do not have the charcoal for goats then I have hear that people use the charcoal from a fish tank.
    I do not have any poisonous plants here at all but I have a tube of the charcoal anyway, you never know.

    Please let us know how he is doing. :pray:
  6. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Ditto what everybody else said, charcoal asap, also, give him milk of magnesia mixed with olive oil, and lots of B Complex with thiamin if you have it.

    Good luck.
  7. sparks879

    sparks879 New Member

    He is still on the verge of his rumen kicking in. It has started orking but activated charcoal may still be too much on his young stomach and may actually more harm then good. I had a kid get into rhodies at about the same age. Called a great goat vet.
    Told me to make him a bottle of milk. Warm the milk on the stove and bring it to a boil like you would for tea, place a packet of green tea in there just like you would be making yourself some tea, then put a tablespoon of baking soda in there, as well as a teaspoon of ground ginger. Youc an drop a couple of drops of molasses in there to hide the flavor. More then likely you will have to drench him. Also get a little bit of mineral oil in him.
    good luck
  8. nhsmallfarmer

    nhsmallfarmer New Member

    Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
  9. babe817

    babe817 New Member

    Apr 4, 2008
    he is doing well... he came good pretty quick. thank you everyone.
  10. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats great to hear! Hope he continues to do well for you and has learned to stay away from whatever it was he ate to make him sick!
  11. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    vomitting is scary but also is a good thing if they get into something poisonous. As long as you keep them hydrated they usualy come back from poisoning faster when vomitting then those that do not vomit as it gets rid of the toxins faster.
  12. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Did you find out what it might of been?