The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ND brothers are almost 5 months old, not wethered and have gotten along great up to this point. They share a paddock and pasture with our 2 mini horse weanlings. Up til now, the horses stayed in a stall at night, but I finally got the other stall partially cleared of hay. What’s left is stacked high and tight in the back, so I put the boys in at dusk when I fed everyone because it was going down to 24. I thought they’d be more warmer there than their little open-ended shelter. They had hay, goat feed and water.

When I got out there this morning, I looked over the stall door to see that they had been butting each other to the point that their heads are bloody, the 1” long scurs they had are gone and they just generally looked angry. I immediately let them out, but they started in again, so I put one back in the stall and left the other in the paddock. I finished feeding everyone and came back to write this.

If I get them wethered will this behavior stop? I feel like such a bad goat mom...they’ve played at head-butting, but this is serious now. I need to go back out and treat their wounds, so I’ll check back in a bit. Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve never heard more screaming! I used a washcloth to gently clean heads. You’d have thought I was trying to murder them. I put Neosporin on their wounds.

So far they’re leaving each other alone, but I’ll separate them if they start again. I guess I need to separate them tonight, too. They’ve never been apart at night, so not sure how that’ll go, but I guess it’s better than them butting heads all night.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
They will get along better with weathering, but more importantly, they will be WAY better pets! Pretty soon they would start peeing on their legs and faces, and you as well as other very unattractive behaviors that bucks practice which makes them yucky pets. Hope the vet gets them done soon!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, the peeing behavior has been going on for 2 months now...I don’t know if wethering will stop that...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've never heard more screaming! I used a washcloth to gently clean heads. You'd have thought I was trying to murder them. I put Neosporin on their wounds.

So far they're leaving each other alone, but I'll separate them if they start again. I guess I need to separate them tonight, too. They've never been apart at night, so not sure how that'll go, but I guess it's better than them butting heads all night.
I had two bucks who whacked heads and caused bloody spots. When it was time to be treated they acted like that was the most horrible thing in the world. Getting injured was ok, but getting treated was bloody murder!

·
Fair-Haven
4,821 Posts
I had two young bucklings together this year. I've never had a really big problem - until this year (2020 go figure). - even in rut. This year - they were fine one day - and the next - one was complelety bald, the other had a concussion. They are now separated until at least January and end of rut. They CAN hurt each other. If you don't want them as breeders, wether now - and if they are still very aggressive separate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had two young bucklings together this year. I've never had a really big problem - until this year (2020 go figure). - even in rut. This year - they were fine one day - and the next - one was complelety bald, the other had a concussion. They are now separated until at least January and end of rut. They CAN hurt each other. If you don't want them as breeders, wether now - and if they are still very aggressive separate.
We wanted them as pets. The breeder advertised them as wethers, but the day before I was to pick them up, she asked me if I wanted her to band them. I figured it was better to let them grow a bit, but we're about a month off schedule. I had no idea they'd go into rut with no does around. I hope the vet can get to them soon! We just went through it with our dogs...our 8 month old male goes in Tuesday.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,452 Posts
We wanted them as pets. The breeder advertised them as wethers, but the day before I was to pick them up, she asked me if I wanted her to band them. I figured it was better to let them grow a bit, but we're about a month off schedule. I had no idea they'd go into rut with no does around. I hope the vet can get to them soon! We just went through it with our dogs...our 8 month old male goes in Tuesday.
I don't know if you'd be comfortable doing it yourself, but banding can be done easily without a vet if you don't mind it not being done surgically. But I understand being worried about screwing it up. I just thought I would let you know though, that it is a simple process if you weren't aware.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree with Mellon. My own experience with banding went very well. Some people think it’s less humane than surgery, but the way our wether acted, I don’t really buy that. He didn’t seem the least bit bothered. Not by the banding, and not by wearing the bands afterwards. It was like nothing had even happened.

That said, if you feel more comfortable waiting for the vet I think that’s completely fine too, and totally understandable. It is possible to mess it up and cause problems.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I texted my neighbors to let them know what happened so they don't think I'm mistreating the boys...
Had to laugh about letting the neighbors know...
A couple of years ago, when we got the kids' ears tattoo'd, they screamed so loud that our neighbor called to see what was going on. They thought that someone got hurt really bad...LOL. Good that they were concerned enough to check tho'. :) Now, I give them a 'heads-up' when something LOUD is going to happen around here.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had a much more experienced 'goat friend' band one of our kids last year. She gave him a shot of Banamine after banding for any pain/discomfort. He layed around for most of that day (maybe the Banamine..?) but was back to normal the next day like nothing happened.
Vertebrate Working animal Mammal Dog breed Carnivore Primate Terrestrial animal Grass Snout Liver

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guess I’m going to do the banding myself. I’ve had no return calls from our local large animal vet and the others I found aren’t accepting new patients due to Covid. My dogs’s vet is great but doesn’t handle livestock. I’m having trouble keeping these guys separated, so I’ll order the bander today. Any recommendations for brand?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
If you're unsure about banding here's a good video.

It's really simple to do. I give banamine about a half hour before then just let them do as they please after. If they want to walk -fine If not I wait an hour or so then walk them around. Movement actually does help.
Just be warned, there's always the odd goat who will still be acting a bit off for a day or so longer. They're the melodramatic ones. Just make sure you don't accidentally get one of their teats in the band.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts