The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet 1 year old goat has been sick for weeks now. She was brought to a vet by my mom who was babysitting while I was away. That vet thought she had bronchitis and prescribed her a shot of antibiotics x 5 days. She was heaving with a snotty nose. The goat seemed to be perking up with the antibiotics. She then got sick again - she refused to eat entirely. My vet thought it was pneumonia (she had pneumonia last year) and gave me a few shots of another antibiotic along with something to take her fever down (approx 104). She continued to get worse. We just finished a 10 day trial of a third anti-biotic - she will eat the odd thing - cherry tomatoes, leaves of a specific tree type but refuses to eat grain and does not eat much. Someone suggested lungworm so we wormed her the day before yesterday (same as the last day of antibiotics). Today she is terrible! She hangs her head down, her eyes are reddish brown along the edge. She is itching herself and will not eat - but she licks at our skin and sometimes tries to bite as if she is hungry for us. She also will eat dirt. She has access to a mineral block and some minerals. I`ve called the vet again but any help would be appreciated. She just stands there heaving! Our other goat (a LaMancha) is fit as a fiddle!
Btw - last year we thought she had CLA, we drained a large cycst on her face but nothing has ever come back.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add - she still has a snotty nose - and occasionally some crusted mucus? near her mouth. She heaves a lot through her nose and is fluffing up her coat like a scared cat. She walks - slowly- and is sniffing everywhere

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Sounds like a very difficult ordeal... to be treating her with no results :( I would suggest getting her on a B Complex injection to boost her appetite, some probiotics as well as some electrolytes.
The cyst you describe sounds like it could have been a salivary gland cyst or an abcessed tooth... both can cause a systematic infection that can be hard to reach with antibiotics.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The most recent set of Anti-biotics was Borgal - she ate two handfuls of grain while she was on it and would nibble a bit though she is still fur and bones. Before that was something with an N...I honestly don`t recall - Nuvo -something? with Banamine. Before THAT was the Baytril which my mom said she responded to but she then quickly became sick again :( Thank you for your help

Would I get the B complex and electrolytes at the feed store?

·
Super Moderator
59,640 Posts
I have no idea what Borgal is but if she has pnuemonia or some other lung infection, I would be getting Draxxin. See if the vet will give you Draxxin. You need 2 shots dosed at 1cc per 101 lbs. Give one shot every 7 days for a full 14 day coverage. Banamine should be done for 3 days for any inflammation.

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
hows her poop? do you hear rumen function? ( burping, toots, grumbling in the tummy area) does she chew a cud? Has she beed tested for CAE?
eating dirt means sheis lacking something she finds in the dirt..I would switch from the mineral block to loose mineral...check her teeth make sure they are all there and none are infected..
cut limbs off the tree she likes to feed her...green leaves are great food for goats..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. Can you recommend a specific loose mineral? we are just learning. Her teeth look fine. I don`t notice her chewing cud (or much or anything - she will literally pull one staw out of the alfalfa and slowly chew it :() Her only real movement is almost a shaking from shallow fast breathing.

Any suggestions for yummy treats she might eat? She is certainly acting like she is missing something the way she tries to eat everything BUT food. We have tried to offer her the loose minerals we have but she ignores them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should clarify - I havent actually seen her poop in days and have spent the whole afternoon with her this week.

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
she may be constipated and may need an enema...not tons of fun to do but if she is plugged up it would explain her refusal to eat.....I prefere oil and water enemas..use a large syringe (no needle) or hair color bottle, anything with a small tip...fill it up with a wrm water and oil solution and squeeze it in..message her tummy well..if no action after about 5-10 minute..add a bit more fluid...message more..dont over fill her..you want to see quite a bit of poop and then the oil in her bottom should help her poop more...make her some electroyltes to keep her hydrated ...offer her that and fresh water...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
as for loose minerals...I look for made for goat mineral or most cattle minerals work..look for dark color...mine seem to like it better than the deep red mineral..

·
I'm watching you
22,526 Posts
Probiotics...all the antibiotics have killed her rumen flora. She's eating dirt trying to replace them.
Borgal is Sulfa drug, we call it TMZ-SMZ. I take it that you are in Canada?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I am in Canada but near the border - I was planing to go to the Big R in Omak, WA this weekend. Maybe Ican get that there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So she is pooping - it is a lighter brown color than usual and the poops are more oval than round - not sure if that means anything. She seemed to perk up this weekend - she receveid more anti-biotics - Nuflor and dexamelhasane. I have given her goat probiotics and now she will chew but is grinding her teeth. Nothing is coming up...any addtional suggestions? She is so weak now she stumbled walking :(

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
Im not sure Im clear..she is chewing a cud? but still grinding her teeth? or trying to bring a cud up and its not coming up?

How is her eating? Her drinking?
her temp?
how long she been on antibiotics?
as Goathiker said...they completly kill off the good bacteria and it needs to be rebuilt with probios, but if given too soon after antibiotics it will only be killed off too...so I would wait 3-4 hours after antibiotics to give the probios..
also check her her lower inner eye lids for color..are they pale? or bright pink to red??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She is chewing - but no cud is coming up. She barely is eating - literally a few small bites all day. She was eating yesterday - some saskatoon bushes and a cherry tomato or two- I know now that is likely due to the steroid the vet gave her. She has been on different anti-biotics for about a month - different types for different time periods - th elongest was Borgal for 10 days running. Her temp on Friday was 103.5 not sure what it is right now, I can't find where my darling but the thermometer. Her lower inner eyelids are a very pale pink. I saw the vet again today and he gave me a little more Nuflor and steriods for the short term - he said he does not like to give steriods but if she ate after the last ones this could be her only help. He said if this does not work it is likely nothing antibiotics can help...

Any insight would be appreciated

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.