The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :/ I let my chickens out today, the weather here is cold and snowy. It was sunny today and in the winter I do let my girls out. Well I just got home from evening chores at my grandparents. (I do them at 4oclock) when I pulled into the driveway I noticed something under our truck. I pulled out my Japanese bantam. She is the low hen on the totem pole cause she's my smallest hen. I brought her back inside and put her under the heat lamp. She sat there with her feathers ruffled and was pushed out from under the heat by my ducks. So I brought her inside and sat her in front of my heater in my room. I want to warm her back up but by the looks of her, I don't think she is going to survive the night. Is there anything I can do for her? I feel so sorry for her.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
a good perk me up is cayenne pepper...mix a bit with water and drench slowly...or mix in her electrolytes...
I agree with antibioitcs...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No she has no rattle or nothing. She just sits with her head tucked and doesn't want food or water. She hasn't laid an egg in months, she is about oh 5 yrs old. She just sits lifeless unless I touch her. I don't have anything on hand I can give her and my mom won't drive a half hour to the nearest store for a chicken. Plus everything is closed now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My old hens do this when they know it's their time to go. I'm sorry to say this, but I would just make her comfortable and let her pass in peace. 5 years is about it for most hens. (((HUGS)))

And yes...cayenne pepper would warm her up inside and if it's not her time to go, will help revive her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My old hens do this when they know it's their time to go. I'm sorry to say this, but I would just make her comfortable and let her pass in peace. 5 years is about it for most hens. (((HUGS))) And yes...cayenne pepper would warm her up inside and if it's not her time to go, will help revive her.
I have to agree sadly. She is getting old and when I found her I almost thought she was dead. We don't have cayenne pepper. Ugh!!!

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
That could very well be her problem....I deworm my chickens every fall/winter when egg laying is at a low. I use either Ivermectin 1% injectable for cattle at the rate of 7 drops orally for bantams or 1/4 cc for standards. Repeat in 10 days.Egg withdrawal would be 10 days from the last dose.

You can also use Valbazen at 1/4 cc for bantams and 1/2 cc for standards.Repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is 10 days from last dose.

As for the Duramycin 10....3/4 tsp per quart of water. I would in her case,put much less water and syringe it into her beak slowly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts