Help My Sammy needs hooves trimmed In Texas

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tariley2, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Tariley2

Tariley2 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    i have one male goat that is a year old and badly needs hooves trimmed. Does anyone know of someone near Galveston Texas that can help me. He is my only goat and had him since bottle. Please help me find someone close to me. I’ve googled and looked around. Thanks so much

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I don’t know anyone :/ you can put a add on Craigslist but also we can help you threw it if you are able to do it yourself

3. We are about 3-3.5 hours north of Galveston. But it's really easy to do yourself. We can walk you through it like said above and there are great videos and articles online.

Did you look for any goat farms down near you? I know there are some, or someone a lot closer that might meet up with you and do it and show you how.

4. Tariley2

Tariley2 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Thanks I will. I’ve seen the videos and I believe I can do it. Just trying to figure out how to restrain this goat. He is quite strong and stubborn lol

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    My favorite way to restrain a wild goat for hoof trimming is to use a halter. You can usually find llama or goat halters at most larger feed stores. Snub him up short to a stout post in a solid fence so he can't move very much. Then push him against the fence with your body to make him stand still. If he's really big and really wild it will help to have a second person to help body-check him against the fence. Once you pick up a foot, do not let go no matter how much he kicks and flails. Stay as close to him as possible because it's harder for him to kick you or pull away if you're standing against him. Try to hold the hoof at an angle that's easy for him when he's behaving. A lot of people hold the hoof too high and wrench the goat's shoulder, which is likely to make him struggle. He should be comfortable as long as he's standing still. Don't put his hoof down unless he's standing nicely. Trim one hoof then take a break to pet him, feed him a treat, and tell him how brave and good he was, then move on to the next.

If his feet are really overgrown then you'll need to do this in small steps. You don't want to accidentally trim too much and cause him to bleed because then he'll be totally justified in struggling! Try to make the activity calm and pleasant. Be firm, confident, and no-nonsense about handling his feet, but also be gentle with him so he has no reason to give you a hard time. Make it a special occasion with treats for good behavior. Your helper can even feed him a treat from time to time if he's standing still while you trim. If you keep up with hoof trimming about once every 2 months then it won't be such an ordeal.

Make sure to be careful with your hoof trimming tools. They are very sharp, and it's easy to accidentally stab yourself when your goat starts struggling. Wear long pants and sturdy shoes because he will probably whack you with a hoof and step on your feet at some point. Also make sure to wear leather gloves. The first time might be a wrestling match, but it will get better once your goat is used to it, and it will be good for his personality in the long run. Good luck!

6. Ahh, well then yes, that is a problem if you don't have a stand. But,good advice above!!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome. ;)

Very good advice.

Do a little bit at a time. If you see pink stop, the next cut may be blood.

Do you have any pics?

8. Tariley2

Tariley2 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Oh my I did it. Watched many videos and made a trip to tractor supply. Bought shears and halter. He actually did quite well. Took me and my husband to convince him. He ate some and protested some. Yes we did little trimming and then we rested lol. More us than him. I then went to amazon and bought better shears. We will do alittle at a time. I’m glad for the encouragement to do it myself lol. I was about to load him up and take to a vet Thanks everyone

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yo can go back every 3 weeks or so, and trim a little more, until they look like to be where they should be.

Kath G. and Tariley2 like this.
  10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Nice work!! I'm glad it went well. It's so much cheaper and easier to learn how to trim hooves yourself, and it will help your goat learn how to tolerate being restrained and have good manners when handled. This will be very important when he's twice the size in another year or so!

Jubillee and Tariley2 like this.
  11. Tariley2

Tariley2 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    That’s what i was thinking. Every 3 weeks trim alittle

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    When I was first trimming hooves, I would trim a tiny bit every day for a week. That way the goat didn't get too impatient (I was slow lol) and I was so freaked out about hurting them, I just couldn't trim very much at one time.

I would totally recommend making or buying a stand! Mine has been a total life saver :)

Kath G. likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Hurray for you!!!!!! We knew you could do it!!!

15. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    IF you wanted you can use some old shingles and put it on a toy and that would help file his hooves down a little

Suzanne_Tyler likes this.
  16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Another thing you can do it get some of those concrete culverts for them to play on. :)

Goatzrule likes this.
  17. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    You mentioned that he is your only goat? Is there a chance he could get a friend, goats get very lonely by themselves

toth boer goats likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh yeah, very good catch there, get a goat friend it will help.

Goatzrule likes this.
  19. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I would use a good brush to clean his hooves if you do it yourself.