Help... need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by myfainters, Feb 14, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, I had a buyer beg and beg and beg some more to take one of my wethers as a bottle baby. She has apparently done numerous rescues and loves to bottlefeed. So... against my better judgement I let her take him today when she came to put down a deposit on him and one of my doelings. He just turned 4 weeks old.. has been on mom not the bottle.... so about 4 hours later.... I get an email from her. She has him home he's doing well but they don't want him because he doesn't faint.

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? :veryangry:
    1) He is terrified... away from his mom and probably a bit hungry since he's not used to a bottle

2) WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody be purposely trying to frighten a 4 week old baby goat that just got taken from his mom??????????
    :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :hair:

Now here is my question: Would I be risking the health of my herd by taking him back? She has rescued numerous goat kids, squirrels, and all kinds of other animals. My herd is CAE, CL and Johnnes tested neg. We finally have gotten rid of all the sniffles after show season.... What do I do? I'm already returning the deposit on the doe... since I wouldn't sell them any other goats... but is it safe to take him back? Would I be putting my herd at risk since she has had other goats there that were "rescues"??

I'm so sad for my poor little baby right now. :tears:

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

OMG THOSE MEAN PEOPLE! You cant expect a baby to just FAINT! I would take him back just to SAVE him. These people dont seem right to own him....

You might be risking your herd though, is there anyway to keep him away from the herd? And then test him?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh boy thats a hard decision

can you try and educate her first? Maybe she doesnt realize that they dont just faint everytime you see them and they see you. People see the Youtube videos and think thats how life is with Fainters every day.

chances are mom wont take him back after a couple days so the sooner the better if you dont want to have him as a bottle baby.

Poor thing! I always get so riled up inside when people say "I want one of those that fall over, I would chase it every day just for the laugh" :mad: :angry: I tend to be more nice and tell them they are being cruel (ok thats not nice btu at least it isnt what I want to say) and that once it is friendly they rarely faint and once they are adults they rarely fall over they just stiffen, That changes their mind on wanting one real quick.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Laura you cant test a 4 week old baby ;)

its only been 4 hours -- how much can the little thing be exposed to? CAE - as a wether there is no way for him to transmit it to the other goats except through blood to blood contact and unless he received milk from a CAE positive goat or had blood to blood contact with a CAE positive goat then didnt pick up CAE at her place. Now the CL yah its possible if she was handling CL positive animals in the past. but likely? I think not

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

hahahha oops I forgot to read he was that young lol my bad

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, that's the problem... I already explained to her about Myotonia and the different levels of Myotonia before she bought him. We talked in person for about an hour... then she took him home. I'm just really worried about him catching something from their property and bringing it back here... (I'm a spaz I KNOW!) I guess I could write her again and reiterate the fact that he is still very young so he won't faint as much yet... but I don't know how to word it without coming off like a total "b****" since I'm so upset that she would take him. Who does that? Either way I'm not selling my doe to them.
    Plus... he's a silky... they aren't even required to faint! Sheesh. The funny thing is... the kid we are talking about does faint.... they just haven't given him time to settle in yet.... maybe I should wait until the morning to write them back since I'm too steamed right now to say anything nicely. LOL

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sleep on it

I have found something that works nicely for me. First I write out what I would tell them if I was to write something at that moment. Save it but dont send it. Then the next morning after a nice fresh sleep I look at what I wrote and then tweek and reward etc and then I send it. Sometimes I omit stuff othertimes I just reword. But once its out and on paper I feel like wont loose what I wanted to say and I sleep better. For some reason if I dont I cant sleep....its like I have to hold onto how I feel.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    That's a great idea... I'm the same way... if I don't resolve it somehow.. I can't sleep.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    take him back.. she obviously didnt pay attention to you at all, and even at4 weeks.. thats still a high stress situation and trying to get him to faint is even worse.. I wouldnt give her a deposit back though..

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because you are breaking the "contract" in my opinion you are right to give back the deposit. If she did soemthing o break it then no it wouldnt be refundable

11. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Although she has 'rescued' lots of stuff...was he kept in a barn with other goats, or did they have him in the house or in a garage?
    I would take him back...the odds of him coming in contact with something are probably low...bring him back and keep him seperated to make sure he doesn't come down with something. You could also try to find another home quickly.... Good luck!

12. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    So sorry this has happened! :hug: Poor lil' fella'! :( Is there anyway you could quarantine him and mom until you can retest for CAE et al? I would NOT refund the deposit for him, but I would return the deposit on the doeling with an explanation (IMO, NOT a suitable home).

Deb Mc

13. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Take him back -- the chances of him catching something in under 24 hours I would imagine is low -- although maybe I'd go pick him up and check the place out to see if I needed to worry!

14. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I would probably bring him back and bottle feed him and keep him quarantined from my herd (if I had one already, which i don't, but someday!!) until I was sure he didn't have anything he could pass along to them, maybe start trying to find him another home right away if i couldn't bottle feed him myself or if i didn't have a place to quarantine for any length of time.

I have to be honest, I have a huge issue with people who ONLY want myotonic goats because they "faint". I find it kind of disgusting that someone would intentionally try to frighten an animal to make it fall over for their own entertainment. I mean, I'm not saying it isn't funny when they startle and all stiffen up and fall over. But to purchase an animal for that reason and that reason only? I dunno, that just suggests to me a mean streak that I would not want to place my animal into. It's like the diffeence between laughing at a friend if they trip over something and stumble but don't get hurt and intentionally tripping someone just to laugh at them falling. *shrug* then again i felt the same way about a friend who bought puffer fish just so he could freak them out and make them puff up. It just has an edge of cruelty to it, IMO, that would keep me from wanting to place an animal in that environment.

Plus, if she doesn't want him and I didn't take him back what would happen to him? I'd worry myself sick over it.

15. Dairy Goat Lover

Dairy Goat Lover New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I agree. Take him back! Retest if you need to but get him out of there. I am so sorry :hug: I say that simply because like one of the other members said- what if she doesnt want to keep him what will happen to him. :(

16. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Not sure if i missed it or not, but I have been wondering how things turned out for you in all this, if you got it taken care of ok. I was kind of worried about the little guy and about you having to deal with this.

17. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    It is worked out... though not the way I initially wanted it to go. I ended up driving to their area the next morning (1 1/2 hours away) and told them I would pick him up so they didn't need to do the drive back to our place. Well, they wouldn't respond to my calls or emails all day. I got home and later that evening they emailed me that they decided that they liked him and he would fit in well with them after all. They sent me pics of him curled up with their Great Pyrenees on their couch fast asleep... and some of him playing. They still wanted the doeling and I decided to sell her only because I don't want him to be there all alone.... I know he needs a friend other than the dog and I figure that even the coldest person can't help but melt when they have a precious baby that just wants to be held and loved... which is what I believe happened in this case. Hopefully it all works out and they have realized that yes the "fainting" is a novelty but that these animals are also incredibly docile, intelligent and loving.... not a form of entertainment. I did lay into this woman a bit... and she took it well.... soooooooo... my fingers are crossed that it works out well for my babies. :)

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    glad to here everything worked out...:)

19. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Glad to hear it has been resolved. It sounds like they will be ok. That sure is frustrating though. Some people! Sheesh!

20. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That is actually awesome news!