The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We just got two baby goats today, dwarf Norwegian (I believe that’s what hubby said) after transporting them, we took them out of the cage and put them on the ground. My bad for not realizing that I probably should of put them in the pen. And of course they were not sure of their surrounding and started walking/running away.

My son in law started to chase one ( meaningful intention) to catch the goat but it ended up going into the creek behind our place.
It’s been 11 hours of searching and we can not find him. I have also informed the neighbours along the creek as well. I have not heard any noise from the goat either.

I’m absolutely devastated as I lost him and his brother is alone. While I need to know how I may find him and pray that he did not drown.
Any advice on searching, luring him back is much appreciated. These are our first goats and keep hoping he will come back.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I agree..he needs to hear his brother call him. Or find a recording of goats calling and play that.. A friend lost a baby out in the wooded are behind her home. They searched and searched for her. The next day my family went over to help search. My son made goat mama calls and the baby came out from a fallen tree limb.

Best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Omg!!! Thank you all for the info.

Just before 1130 pm (July 3) he started calling. He was stuck behind a willow tree in the creek. He seemed stuck as he wasn’t trying to get away from me as I approached him. I grabbed him and got him out!!! I’m so estatic! I was worried for the worst as there was no sound no movement for 36 hours!

I was even in the creek earlier today, waist high , searching the water and tall grass. It didn’t dawn on me that he would hide that long and then I thought he had drowned. He was a needle in the haystack for sure. I’m so happy he called. Poor little guy. Oh and his silly little brother wouldn’t call back to him.
I added a pick of him! He’s such a cutie! Thank you all again. Have a good night 😊
Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal Working animal Dog breed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they’re babies, their instincts will be to hide under brush and be very quiet. Can you get their mom over to see if her calls will get him to come out? Goats are prey animals and they hide very well.
when and if you get him back, he’s going to need care right away for stress and dehydration.
I think your comment was dead on. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Oh thank god you found him! FANTASTIC! I’m so so happy for you.
Both babies need time to adjust to their new surroundings. A small pen where you can just go and sit with them and get them used to coming to you would be ideal. It can take time, be patient. Once the trust is there it’ll be ok.

you might want to offer him electrolytes and give him a dose of probios and vitamin b complex just to help with the stress.

Theyre very cute babies 😃

·
8,483 Posts
Keep them in a small area until they are used to you. They are little, they don't need a huge pasture, yet. Once they learn you are the
food provider- shake something that makes noise each time you feed them. Eventually, they will hear that noise and come running. Goats
are very food orientated..(and they do not have a shut off valve- they can and will eat themselves to death if they get into any grain, chicken feed,
dog food, etc.) So glad you found him. They are both very cute!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts