The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who recently split with her husband. She brought her 3 bucks and 8 does to my place. She is supplying her own feed and hay. What should we be charging for daily chores and time? We thought of $1.00 a day per animal as it has put an additional 20 minutes onto our chore time morning and night. Any suggestions??? Please any advice would help

·
Registered
31,087 Posts
...$11 a day is $77 a week = $308 a month.. sounds like a reasonable fee to help a friend out...she would pay way more than that if she needed to use a boarding service...;)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We have a horse boarding business, and we charge 1.00/horse/feeding/day. So, our feeding 1 horse twice a day is going to cost the owner $2.00 for every day we feed. Something else you might think about is whether you want to be responsible for feeding grain. We will not feed grain as there are too many things that can go wrong.

In all honesty, if this were my friend I believe I would give her a group discount as long as the does were in one pen and the bucks in one pen. But, I already have enough critters to feed that 11 more aren't going to make that much difference. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Something else you might think of. Do up a contract in case a goat get sick or heavens killed. Make sure you are not responsible for the fee's. Friend or not you need it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had to put three pens up for her animals. Altogether she has 4 pens for her animals here. Two bucks together one buck who is very destructive in his own pen. 5 does in one pen and 3 in another. Its rut season so all the bucks stink. We have a contract just need a reasonable price

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
1.00-2.00 a day is what most charge for board during breeding service and I consider that to be reasonable. Your time is valuable as is your land.

You can either do it as 1.00 a day or come up with a flat rate per month of like 300.00 a month.

20 min each day for 30 days is equal to 10hours a month. So that would be a pay rate of 30.00 an hour. Sounds like a good pay for the efforts.

You mentioned you already have a contract, Im sure its in there but with the more destructive buck be sure its spelled out who pays for the fencing/building when it needs repairs

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We had to put three pens up for her animals. Altogether she has 4 pens for her animals here. Two bucks together one buck who is very destructive in his own pen. 5 does in one pen and 3 in another. Its rut season so all the bucks stink. We have a contract just need a reasonable price
Ok, I see. Given the circumstances, I would not give a group discount either.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like the dollar a day per animal as well, but seeing that my circle of friends who have goats are extremely helpful I would give her half off. We swap taking care of animals when someone goes out of town and help each other when something unfortunate or unseen happens. So I guess I would base it on how close you are to the friend and if your own finances can take this on during this time.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Yep, 1.00 per day per goat sounds good. BUT id let the friend know, anything that they destroy, she buys. And if one of them, (like the meaner buck) causes any problems beyond the feeding and watering, then he will need to find somewhere else to live. Just have to let the friend know you have no problem helping out. But when her problem starts making problems for you, thats when things will have to be addressed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the advice.... i do believe im not in the wrong asking for a dollar a head a day! Lets see what she has to say

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Is there a reason that she cannot feed and tend to her own goats? I would also add that it would be wise to be prepared for this arrangement to cause friction and tension in your friendship if it goes on for more than a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Thank you for all the advice.... i do believe im not in the wrong asking for a dollar a head a day! Lets see what she has to say
of course not. But you asked opinions and we were trying to help with that. Not sure why you asked if you already made up your mind and didnt really want suggestions. :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it all depends on where you are located. That sounds really high, but I an in the south. When I lived in the north, I know board was a lot higher than it is here. Northeast is even higher. Go with what your gut is telling you is a fair price. Has to be worth it for you, even it its a friend. Someone mentioned discounting price in leiu of favors. If you choose to go that route, write it into your contact. I did that with a couple different boarders. One worked, the other didn't. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts