The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey y’all. I have a 5 week Nigerian dwarf doeling that’s not taking her bottles. She is a bottle baby from birth, but since bringing her home, she’s not eating consistently. She’s nibbling on Bermuda hay, drinking water, but completely refusing a bottle. She’s on whole milk/half and half mix, as she was at the breeder.

Now she’s seeming clumsy and her cry is different. Help please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is her temp? What type of bottle do you use? How many ounces does she Usually eat? Do you know how much she weighs? How does her poop look?
Hubs is on his way to get a thermometer. Her poop is individual black "berries". I'm using a producers pride lamb and kid bottle. She was eating 4-5 oz 3x/day.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Also make sure the bottle is warmer than for a human child. Milk should be at 100*F for the kids.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is her stomach hard like she's bloated? Could she have gotten into something poisonous? How long has she not been taking a bottle?
Today is the 2nd consecutive day refusing a bottle. She's doing much better (not stumbling and more energetic) after electrolytes, probiotics, B1 and B12 injections, and nutrition-drench. But she's still refusing the bottle. I'm giving small amounts of the aforementioned in 1-2cc amounts at a time, about 1.5-2 hours apart. I was afraid of bloat, and she has free access to baking soda. Her tummy isn't hard, and it's making all kinds of fun noises. She's belching and farting consistently, nibbling on Bermuda hay and drinking water. Just still refusing a bottle. She hasn't been able to get into anything toxic that I can think of. We have just come through Hurricane Barry and she had just come to my little homestead right before the storm hit.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Today is the 2nd consecutive day refusing a bottle. She's doing much better (not stumbling and more energetic) after electrolytes, probiotics, B1 and B12 injections, and nutrition-drench. But she's still refusing the bottle. I'm giving small amounts of the aforementioned in 1-2cc amounts at a time, about 1.5-2 hours apart. I was afraid of bloat, and she has free access to baking soda. Her tummy isn't hard, and it's making all kinds of fun noises. She's belching and farting consistently, nibbling on Bermuda hay and drinking water. Just still refusing a bottle. She hasn't been able to get into anything toxic that I can think of. We have just come through Hurricane Barry and she had just come to my little homestead right before the storm hit.
She may have decided to wean herself, it happens. We got a 6 week old buckling last year that weaned himself off of his dam. The breeder said the little fool would follow him around from big goat feeder to big goat feeder to eat big goat food starting at about 3 weeks old. A tiny nigi going through 4" x 4" wire to eat the food instead of nursing on dam.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try a Pritchard nipple which is a red nipple on a yellow screw cap. Fits on Pepsi product 20 ounce bottles. Also just use whole milk and no half and half. Also, don't leave baking soda out free choice.
That's the nipple I'm using. I have moved to whole milk only. Why should I not leave baking soda free choice?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you sure she's pooping? They stop eating if they are constipated. Also, if you have any C&D antitoxin, I'd give her a dose. When my bottle babies stopped eating, If an enema didn't do the trick to get them eating, the next step was a dose of C & D anti-toxin, and that always got them eating again at the next bottle offering. Not saying it's right, just what I noticed worked for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts