Help needed fast please

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by VixensLegacy, Jan 26, 2021.

1. VixensLegacy

VixensLegacy New Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Tennessee
    My Boer mix kidded premature twins last night around 6pm. They were hypothermic, and one passed after warming up, and seeming to come around, but he just went downhill and started to have labored breathing in the middle of the night. He passed in my arms at 02:30am.
    The doeling is still hanging on. Her teeth have not erupted, I do not know how early she was. I was able to get her eyes to open with lots of moisture and gently working them but it took quite some time. Her hooves have hardened except the very tips. She is lethargic. These are the things I have done.

*Warmed her in the sink in a plastic zip lock baggie (head out) to keep her dry.
    *Have kept her on the heating pad and under a heat light since coming up to temperature.
    *Milked colustrum from mom, but she only got about 10ml 10:00pm.
    *She took a bottle last night, but wont suck now, she just has no interest.
    *I tube fed her 1 ounce every 3 hours (colustrum replacer) all through the night.
    *Too lethargic this morning so I mixed up a batch of electrolyte replacer and used that instead of milk 0900.
    *Gave 1mL of Selenium and Vitamin E Gel oral paste. 1030
    *Gave 0.5mL of B complex SubQ (around midnight)
    * Gave 50mL of subQ electrolyte IV solution I had from my vet for a pup that was sick (equivalent to lactated Ringers I believe) 1100
    * Milked mom some more and gave her 10mL of moms milk after she woke up a little.

I am trying everything, but I don't want to leave anything out. Any ideas on what else I can do.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You must get her temp to at least 101.5. Also B Complex. Selenium. You can put cayan pepper and honey on her gums.

3. VixensLegacy

VixensLegacy New Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Tennessee
    How much cayenne do I mix with the honey? Honey alone helped her bounce up a little and she drank a bit from a bottle. I think her blood sugar is dropping quickly. When I posted my original post, she was about dead. Heart rate had slowed, breathing slowed, stimulation wasn't working, Honey worked. Any Ideas?

MadHouse likes this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Youre doing great Just!

Just a tiny pinch of cayenne in a little honey. Rub her gums.
    Make sure her body temp is 101 before feeding colostrum. She needs the milk rather than electros.

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Do you have any Dexemethasone? It is a strong steroid that does help lung development in premature babies. Are you able to get the kid to a vet?

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Gotta have Dexamethasone in her ASAP and mine as well get the two doses of Draxxin for inevitable neonatal pneumonia that preemies get.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Has she peed or passed meuconium yet?

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  8. VixensLegacy

VixensLegacy New Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Tennessee
    She has peed!!! No meconium yet. After feeding her and getting her sugar up with the honey/cayenne, she seems to be holding her temp better. I left to take my son to the Dr. and came back and her temp was 106... I have her cooling back down right now (just holding her outside of the heat. All day today, same environment, she wouldn't get up past 101-102. I was only gone for 1 hr and had checked her temp and fed her just before I left. She was stirring around and holding her head up when I returned.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  9. VixensLegacy

VixensLegacy New Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Tennessee
    Where can I get those? We don't have a farm Vet just yet.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Both dex and draxxin are from a vet.
    Hows her temp now? Was she in a hot box or heat pad?

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Some vets will take baby goats if you take the kid to the vet. (which saves on a farm call!)

12. VixensLegacy

VixensLegacy New Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Tennessee
    Our sweet doeling passed last night, curled up on my chest, knowing she was loved and I tried my hardest. I was able to get a vet, her lungs were fine, she wasn’t able to retain nutrients or heat at all. She was very, very loved. They both were.

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@VixensLegacy I am so terribly sorry for your loss. It is hard, but it is natures way. You did everything you could. Chin up. Next time will go much better and you have learned allot.

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry you lost her! :hug:

15. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’m so sorry, you worked so hard. She’ll watch over you as a guardian angel.
    RIP little ones

MadHouse likes this.
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm so sorry

MadHouse likes this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry. :(

MadHouse likes this.
  18. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Hard to lose those wee ones, you did your very best

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm so sorry you lost them. You did your best.

MadHouse likes this.
  20. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Aww, so sorry for your loss. That is rough.

MadHouse likes this.