The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Boer mix kidded premature twins last night around 6pm. They were hypothermic, and one passed after warming up, and seeming to come around, but he just went downhill and started to have labored breathing in the middle of the night. He passed in my arms at 02:30am.
The doeling is still hanging on. Her teeth have not erupted, I do not know how early she was. I was able to get her eyes to open with lots of moisture and gently working them but it took quite some time. Her hooves have hardened except the very tips. She is lethargic. These are the things I have done.

*Warmed her in the sink in a plastic zip lock baggie (head out) to keep her dry.
*Have kept her on the heating pad and under a heat light since coming up to temperature.
*Milked colustrum from mom, but she only got about 10ml 10:00pm.
*She took a bottle last night, but wont suck now, she just has no interest.
*I tube fed her 1 ounce every 3 hours (colustrum replacer) all through the night.
*Too lethargic this morning so I mixed up a batch of electrolyte replacer and used that instead of milk 0900.
*Gave 1mL of Selenium and Vitamin E Gel oral paste. 1030
*Gave 0.5mL of B complex SubQ (around midnight)
* Gave 50mL of subQ electrolyte IV solution I had from my vet for a pup that was sick (equivalent to lactated Ringers I believe) 1100
* Milked mom some more and gave her 10mL of moms milk after she woke up a little.

I am trying everything, but I don't want to leave anything out. Any ideas on what else I can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must get her temp to at least 101.5. Also B Complex. Selenium. You can put cayan pepper and honey on her gums.
How much cayenne do I mix with the honey? Honey alone helped her bounce up a little and she drank a bit from a bottle. I think her blood sugar is dropping quickly. When I posted my original post, she was about dead. Heart rate had slowed, breathing slowed, stimulation wasn't working, Honey worked. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Youre doing great Just!

Just a tiny pinch of cayenne in a little honey. Rub her gums.
Make sure her body temp is 101 before feeding colostrum. She needs the milk rather than electros.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has she peed or passed meuconium yet?
She has peed!!! No meconium yet. After feeding her and getting her sugar up with the honey/cayenne, she seems to be holding her temp better. I left to take my son to the Dr. and came back and her temp was 106... I have her cooling back down right now (just holding her outside of the heat. All day today, same environment, she wouldn't get up past 101-102. I was only gone for 1 hr and had checked her temp and fed her just before I left. She was stirring around and holding her head up when I returned.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Both dex and draxxin are from a vet.
Hows her temp now? Was she in a hot box or heat pad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our sweet doeling passed last night, curled up on my chest, knowing she was loved and I tried my hardest. I was able to get a vet, her lungs were fine, she wasn’t able to retain nutrients or heat at all. She was very, very loved. They both were.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
So sorry you lost her! :hug:

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I'm so sorry

Reactions: MadHouse
1 - 20 of 20 Posts