HELP needed quickly... she's bleeding and not due yet

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Cinder, May 3, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My 3 yr. old Alpine doe (2nd freshening) will be at day 145 this coming Saturday (May 9th). Tonight when I got home (from being gone all day), I found blood on the under side of her tail and around her vagina. Does this mean she's aborting? Is there anything I can do? I put her in the kidding stall but that's it. I'm going out to check on her again but will be back shortly to see if anyone's around here to help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she could be delivering early today would be 139 right? Lets just hope she holds off till tomorrow when it will be 140 which is a much safer time to kid.

What day was she bred? (I usualy calculate differnt then most people so.....)

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Stacey - The first day the buck was here was December 15th. Because she had 'silent' heats I could never catch her to take her to him so I brought him here for a month from that date.

She hasn't bagged up much either at this point.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok so from the way I calculate breedings she could be on 140 today (sunday) if she was bred on the 15th of December.

what do her ligaments feel like? Do you have a picture of the bloody discharge?

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I don't have enough experience to 'feel' the ligaments for sure. They don't feel mushy to me but I don't know. I don't have a picture but she's not bleeding now (nor has she since I came home about an hour and a half ago)... there is fresh blood on her behind area with a drop of very bright red blood on her vagina.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Unfortunately, any bleeding like what you described usually means the doe is aborting, but if she is later in the pregnancy then the kids may be able to be saved. I could be wrong though, but haven't had anything like that other than aborting. :hug:

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    If she aborts... might she still produce milk? I don't want to lose any kids but I really don't want to lose her milk for the next nine months or so.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if she does abort (which is odd this late in pregnancy to see those kinds of signs with an abortion but can still happen) then you can milk her and try to encourage milk production if it hasnt started

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    your other question about milk; no, she will still be producing milk

hope everything works out!! :pray:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How is she this morning??

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Allison asked:
    Thank you for asking. She's the same. Nothing happened over night, the blood has turned to a very dark color but she's not bleeding anymore - there's just a little on her vaginal opening. I've got her in the kidding stall for the duration; although I let her outside while I was working out there today so I could keep a close eye on her.

From all I have been able to learn (not much), there's nothing I can do but try to be here when the kid(s) are born in case they are born alive. I will say, after last night, I've got to have some better sleep or I'll be a zombie really quickly. :sigh:

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    A few years ago a friend of ours had a doe that bled about half a week before she was due, we never knew what caused the bleeding but the kids were fine and she delivered fine(except for the fact that hte kids were freakin huge)

When you say its turned to a dark color, its not dark like old blood is it?

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    goathappy said:
    I appreciated hearing that.. it gives me some hope for a successful birthing.

No, it was that color this morning - there was just a small (marble size glob) on her vagina of that color/texture. So far today she's acted perfectly normal and no more blood. So????

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would say she is going to be ok but with a greater possibility of a suck kid so if she is in labor for more then 30 min (when the time comes) I wouldnt hesitate to go in and check to make sure the kid is positioned correctly. That is my gut reaction to this. Hope I am wrong but rather be safe then sorry.