The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All and thanks for taking the time to read this... We bought a 3-4 month old, very healthy looking Nubian mix buck at a livestock auction last Saturday. Brought him home, fed him grain, corn and an open field to graze in. by Tuesday, we started noticing that he didn't want to be around any other goats (I know he should have been quarantined) and he was scouring badly.

We moved something's around and bought another pen and isolated him. I started giving him pepto and nutri-drench. By Thursday, I started him on electrolytes (powder in water). Friday, the vet came. He told me to stop the pepto, he gave him a strong de-wormer and a shot of B1. He said Rhett was anemic(eyes were white). He did a fecal and said their was no coccidia and he saw a few worm eggs. I started him on 5ccs of probiotics once a day, 3 squirts of nutri-drench twice a day and leave electrolyte water in his pen all day.

Saturday he had a very stuffy nose, watery poop, but no fever. I rarely see him eat. I have only hay in his pen. He loves the electrolyte water and is drinking it. Late this morning his nose was a little stuffy and his temp was 104. It is vey hot today, so I thought I would wait until later to retake his temp. Also, you can hear some stomach gurgling.

I suspect this all started with the richer food I gave him. I don't know what he was eating. Is there anything I can feed him? My other babies love Sycamore leaves.

I am very concerned about all of this, but he is losing weight!!

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sorry the post is so long,

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Most likley you are dealing with pueumonia...I would start antibiotics right away...and Banamine if you have it...Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# is a better OTC choice but I like Nuflor 3 cc for 100# for RX....B complex to support his system while he doesnt feel good...keep up the electrolytes and add pepto if he still have the runs..along with cd antitoxin to help prevent toxins while he is off

I always worm my new goats since stress canincrease worm load quite quickly..with anemia he needs red cell 6 cc per 100# daily and B-12 shots to hel his body re make his red blood cells...in wormingI would use ivomec 1 cc per 40# sub Q

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cathy, thanks for the quick response. Is it the runny nose that is indicating the pneumonia? I guess I thought there would be a fever involved. I have penicillin (injectable) and I have powdered Duramycian. Which should I do?

What about food? Should I offer Sycamore leaves?

Is 5ccs of the probiotics once a day enough?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Cathy, thanks for the quick response. Is it the runny nose that is indicating the pneumonia? I guess I thought there would be a fever involved. I have penicillin (injectable) and I have powdered Duramycian. Which should I do?

What about food? Should I offer Sycamore leaves?

Is 5ccs of the probiotics once a day enough?
Hay only if no antitoxin give milk if magnesium. That will cause runs but clean out his toxins. He could have picked something up at the auction house. Poor baby, electrolytes are good keep those up watch his temp!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
normal temp is 101.3 -103.5...so 104 is a low grade fever that with the other issues Im thinking the beginning of pueumonia..Pen G can help...Injected sub Q, make sur to draw back on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vien...if you see blood..adjust and try again...
Offer hom leaves you know he enjoys or your other goats enjoy...I think 5cc probios if a good amount...and electros to keep him hydrated...
No need to do m.o.m just yet if he comes around with pueumonia treatment..

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
what wormer was used?? Also goats shed worm eggs in cycles so the first fecal may not have given a full picture of whats going on worm wise..SInce he came from unknow condidtions I would treat for cocci as a preventive, the Pen G will help him fight what ever is coming on..but rereadingyour post makes me think hemight be dealing with a few things...First the runny nose, slight fever and him being lathargic and second the runs....I wouldnt give any grain while he scours..pepto is ok to give..helps sooth the tiummy and dry the bum but also finding the cause of the runs..ike worm load or possible too much grain/corn..Give hay and leaves and electros only will help regualte that along with the probios..I would also skip the corn..Goats do not need corn..a tiny bit never hurts but too much is hard to digest and cancause the runs you are seeing...once he is bakc to berries..restart the grain very slowly..allowing his rumen to get used to it...also after five days Pen do three to 4 days Probios to restore flora in his gut :D

·
1,524 Posts
The sickness part is all taken care of by the other posters but-

When you bring a new animal home, try not to change the diet. Since he came from an auction with an unknown diet, just give hay-no grains at all. Especially no corn! I would limit grazing and browse for a few days too. The moving alone is stressful, adding a lot of new feeds is worse and can kill an animal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. He ate a little hay this afternoon and he is continuing to drink up the electrolytes.

I guess my concern with starting the penicillin this afternoon is that the vet may have a stronger, more effective antibiotic that he can administer tomorrow. But, can I wait until tomorrow?

We are getting ready to give him his nutri-drench and I will take his temp again.

But, I still have some questions:

Is 5 ccs of probiotics once a day enough?
If his temp is normal, do you think he will be all right until the vet can get here tomorrow?

I have tried to text the vet and ask if he can make it tomorrow, but I haven't heard back from him.

Please weigh in!

Thanks,

Claire

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
If he does not have a temp then yes, wait...as you said..the vet may have something more effective...the low fever could be from the heat of the day too...
5 cc probios a day should be plenty, what kind are you giving..powder mixed with water or paste?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay, but life is crazy. The vet finally responded and said that I should go ahead and start the pen, which we did. He recommended a pretty high dosage (3ccs twice a day) He is still very runny(diarrhea) and his nose is still runny. He has no interest in hay, but really lights up if you offer fresh grass. He has to start eating something--is the grass ok? There isn't any good grass where he is quarantined, so I cut some and hand fed him.

I am giving him the probiotics in paste form. He doesn't like that as much as he likes the nutri-drench :) the temp is still low grade 104. But I know the antibiotics have to have time to work,

Thanks again for all the advice. What do you think about the grass?

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
I would give about 6 cc pepto to help dry him bum
C D Antitoxin to help his gut...( sudden change in his feed can cause enteriotoxemia)
I would have a fecal done to check for cocci or just treat for cocci since he came from unknown conditions
I would also worm him with Valbazen

to get him to eat try green leaves..grass is not bad but the leaves are better for him
keeping him hydtrated is important as he fights this
best wishes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts