Help needed with kid box - need it soon

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by PznIvyFarm, Aug 17, 2010.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I bought the neck thing from Caprine Supply and used their directions. I tried to scale it down to my guys, but without knowing 1. How big is a full-size kid vs a ND? and 2. How exactly is the box is supposed to hold them? i have some questions (and i feel nubs on all three of the Friday boys already so i think i need to do this really really soon)

Caprine's box is 16" high by 24" long. I made mine 13" high by 16" long. I put the neck holder at the top just like in the directions (b/c it said you can add padding underneath to increase the height where the kid is)

My major problem is the 'chest block' (i'm guessing it stops the kid from lying down?) Theirs has 7" from the front of the kid box to the front of the block. I decreased that to 3.5" (i had 5 originally but the biggest kid's neck was nowhere near the holder then, unless it is supposed to be stretched waaaay out) Then the instructions have it 8" from the bottom of the box to the bottom of the chest block. I thought 'my guys are shorter' so i lowered it to 6"

The problem is that there is ALOT of space between the top of the box and the top of the kid's back. The picture shows the baby goat standing in the box with it's back level with the top of the box - is that correct? So in that case i should RAISE my chest block higher?

What dimensions do ND people use? Is there anything else I should do/add to make this better than the directions state? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I don't use a box for disbudding or tattooing so I can't be much of a help as I just sit down with the kids and do it that way. I do know that one person told me that they put towels in the box for the smaller kids so they are up higher.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use a box set up for standard size kids and just put towels in the bottom if needed. Soem of those nigerian kids are pretty big when I use it. And I use the box for tattooing so I like to have it big enough for them when I tattoo at like 6-8 weeks old.

I have a thread where i showed how my dad and I made one for a friend of mine -- let me see if I can find it.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks. I read thru that post, and you said lots of times minis aren't done until a month old? I thought as soon as you felt a 'pimple' you had to do them, and I kept reading it had to be done at 3-5 days old.

I know it needs to be done, i don't want horns, I know its difficult to sell ones with horns, but it breaks my heart to do that to such tiny babies. If I could wait another week or so it'd be easier I think.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like to wait till they are 2 weeks old sometimes. I like to see that horn base so I know I am getting all of it. Some need to be done sooner but i have waited 3-4 weeks for some runt kids to grow big enough. I have had more success with waiting longer and burning more then burning sooner. But I have experience so do what you are most comfortable with

7. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

I have zero experience and I am not comfortable with it at all :laugh:

When I was in college, we used dehorning paste on the calves. That is the total of my experience with dehorning. (we also castrated them by cutting, w/o anesthetic - life was tough for those babies)

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well can you visit someone who can show you how? thats the best option. You have to burn more then you realize and if you are tentative you will have scurs.

9. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Good idea, i posted something to see if someone is available near me.