Help needed.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by picapica, Jul 6, 2010.

1. picapica

picapica New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Cornwall
    Hi all I'm new to the forum and would like a bit of advice. I have a 3 year old golden guernsey called William he was debudded as a kid, but not very well as his horns keep coming back all be it in a feeble manner. Is there something I can do to stop them growing back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not dis bud so I can not help at all, but I am sure there is someone that will be able to answer you. I am sure someone her has cattle.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

If they keep coming back after dehorning twice I would say they will always come back.

4. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    It sounds like he was only dehorned once - I don't know if it is a job for everyone, but maybe the vet could do it? (I have no idea what that would cost - i just had a one year old doe dehorned and with anethesia and everything it was $75, not cheap, but not too expensive either and well worth it for the peace of mind to me with little kids in the goat pens all the time)

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sounds like he has scurs.. they happen all the time and i really am unsure as to how to stop them from coming back

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi and welcome to the forum -- as SDk says, it sounds like "scurs" which are little bits pf the horn may grow back after a disbudding. As unattractive as they may be, they rarely cause harm to the goat or a person. William will probably probably knock them off from time to time, which will cause a little bleeding but he'll be fine!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! To answer your question... I don't think there's really anything you can do at this point. Unless you want to take him to the vet and have him surgically remove them.

Lori...a golden guernsey is a breed of goat...not a cow. ;)

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :oops: :oops: :oops: I am sorry, I have never heard of them before. I am so embarrassed.

Can you post a picture? Please so I do not do that again. :shocked:

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: I thought it was a cow too! I will have to look it up. My bottle baby Ben is growing back as well. :sigh:

Welcome to TGS! Please post pictures of William and any others you have.

Gina

10. picapica

picapica New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Cornwall
    Hi all, thanks for the replies, I'm newish to internet forums so please exuse any minor faux pas.

I think I've added the picture of william at the bottom, but the file name has disappeared so I'm not sure. Any tech heads can help if it hasn't worked. :) I'll try and pop a couple more pics on when I can but in the middle of harvesting our first potato and turnip crops at the moment so up to the armpits with things.
    Peace and Love!