The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just brought home an ADORABLE two month old Nigerian Dwarf female. Our other goats and our female Great Pyrenees are fine with her, but our male pyr is acting hysterical around her. He chases her around, pins her to the ground and starts licking her and slobbering all over her; freaking (us and) her out! He's acting like he wants to eat her, but never actually bites her. When we put her in a separate enclosure, he sits out side and waits for her, slobbering!:( Any Ideas???

----------------------------------------

A home blessed with 3 Nigerian Dwarfs, 2 Kikos, 2 Great Pyrenees, and 13 chickens.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Poor girl, goats do not handle stress well. I have actually lost a goat kid due to our dog doing the same, just wanting to play. The kid quickly went down hill from worm overload and we lost him. We did end up giving the dog away as our goats make money for us not the dog. You should certainly not allow the dog to get to the little girl anymore.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
AWe..poor girl must be terrified...I agree..the stress can bring her down..I would keep the dog on a leash while out with her..give time for him to accept her or behave around her..he should not be allowed to chase her or pin her down EVER...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It sounds like he looks at the little girl as a play mate and just wants to play. I agree I would not allow it but maybe when she passes the stage of having to bounce all over the place all the time he won't look at her as so much fun. Also maybe she has a different smell then then your goats you have and maybe after shes around your goats for a bit she will have the same smell ?????

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe spray that Bitter apple repellant on her collar or put her in a coat and spray some on it along the backbone, just as a detterrent for the dog?

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Discipline the behavior,as soon as it happens, it is innocent now, but can turn very ugly for the kid, once blood is drawn, it may also ruin the dog and the kid may not be OK.

stress is also a big issue and can kill the kid.

Always watch the dog, if you can't be there, remove the dog from the field, until you can supervise and discipline the dog when needed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses here with this issue. After three days, they seem to be doing better together. Our Pyre is more calm around her and has settled to sniffing her when ever they are together and Pixie (our new 2mo old doeling) is more settled around him as well, doesn't seem as disturbed by his antics, now.

We've been keeping her in the kidding house more when we can't supervise them and also at night and then letting them gradually spend more and more time out together and it seems to be working.

PS We did look for the Bitter apple spray repellant, but haven't found any yet. The guy at the feedstore looked at us like we were crazy when we asked him about it. :(

·
Registered
637 Posts
PS We did look for the Bitter apple spray repellant, but haven't found any yet. The guy at the feedstore looked at us like we were crazy when we asked him about it. :(
Bitter apple or the equivalent is sold in most petstores or try online at Petco.com they often have free shipping deals....
Good to hear that things are settling down these days:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts